• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to flinch lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't flinch. Best way to overcome the flinch is by shooting. Can practice without using powder and ball by putting a piece of wood in the hammer and shooting that way. Making sure you hold and look through all the moving taking place inches from your face. Once comfortable with that, range time again working on holding through the movement and flash till you feel the recoil. Will get easier, just takes a little time for most. A gun with a faster lock time would help, less time between pulling trigger and gun discharge. MHO
Don't flinch. Best way to overcome the flinch is by shooting. Can practice without using powder and ball by putting a piece of wood in the hammer and shooting that way. Making sure you hold and look through all the moving taking place inches from your face. Once comfortable with that, range time again working on holding through the movement and flash till you feel the recoil. Will get easier, just takes a little time for most. A gun with a faster lock time would help, less time between pulling trigger and gun discharge. MHO
That’s the best advice and good words to shoot by!

With some practice, you'll learn to command your rifle instead of letting it command you. Don't overload it, that will help. But it's good to learn to use a flintlock; it will soon be the only type of firearm that you'll be able to have.
Modern ammunition is indeed high-tech, and the means of producing and distributing it will soon vanish for several centuries. Flintlocks are entirely self-sufficient. Find a stone that sparks. Powder can be made in a simple environment with few tools. But get your flintlocks now.

I got my first flintlock in ‘76 or 77, so a life time of shooting them. I don’t notice any delay from trigger squeeze to shot.
Concentrate on your target and holding there.
You can make a wood chip and put it in place of your flint and dry fire.
Also sit at a bench or rest and spend a few flints just setting off prime, while holding on target
Count in your head, 1-2-3, as you squeeze. And after the poof
Pretty soon the ‘flinch’ factor will be gone and you shoot well feel instant.
This is September, practice regularly and by January it will be a smooth as glass as you shoot

I never, ever, oil the face of my frizzen or the pan. If it gets rusty I scour it with 240 grit sandpaper. Here is a smoothbore flintlock I shot 30 times by only loading and priming. No wiping the frizzen, no vent picking, didn't touch the flint, loaded with paper cartridges and round ball without swabbing the bore. I just wanted to see if it would. When your gunsmith is sharp (Mike Brooks), you prime properly (just to the bottom of the vent), and the planets align flintlocks are VERY reliable.
DSCN0088.jpeg

Back