• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to Forum and Black Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey.

I recently made my first post to this site. I recently purchased my first flintlock rifle - a Traditions Kentucky Long Rifle. Thanks for the help! I have been reading through many old threads and see that the people on here are extremely knowledgeble.

A little about me:

I live in Maine. I am a 19 year old college student studying to be a Lutheran minister. I spent the last two years at Concordia University in Wisconsin, but am now transferring to Bethany Lutheran College in Mankato, MN.

Welcome to the forum ! Between your studies and here you'll be well educated and probably never sleep! Great place to share your thoughts and questions though, so set a spell and we'll try to help you bond with that new Kentucky :winking:

Welcome to the MuzzleloadingForum.
I'm sure you will find that poking around here can be an enjoyable pastime.

A minister with a flintlock? It fits right in, you know.
It was Reverend Alexander John Forsyth in Scotland that developed and patented the first percussion ignition system in the very early 1800s.

Again, Welcome to you, and don't forget where we are after you move to your new school.

Welcome Insurrection1517. I take it you like slow matches over flint?

Insurrection,
Welcome on board. I'm sure you will find this
forum very informative. I wish it had been available when
i was getting started in B/P, more years ago than i care to remember.
I am snake-eyes

Welcome. There are ministers who post here, and I enjoy their comments. You might enjoy this "religious" themed rifle I built for Jimm in Portland, OR. It is a .50 38" Green Mtn barrel with an L&R Classic conversion caplock and Track's extra fancy Southern Mtn stock. He wanted Isaiah 40:31 engraved in the patchbox lid, plus the quote "Do Not Fear,I Am With You", which I engraved on the ding plate. Great motto for a ML rifle! Randy cast the sterling silver stars, I sawed out the rest of the silver. Made a peep sight.
jimmfull.jpg

Here is the patchbox, the verse engraved by "Hoot" Gibson of Rangely, CO, I did the rest.
jimmpatch.jpg

And here is the cheek side. The banner above the carved cross reads "The Truth, The Life, The Way"
jimmcheek.jpg

And, yes, it shoots. The top right target is 4 round balls and 50 gr of Goex 3F at 1441 fps. Bottom right is 100 gr Pyrodex RS, 3 shots in 0.4" at 50 yds, 1900 fps.

jimmherb.jpg

Nice to hear from you. Hope you enjoy everybody here.

Welcome Insurrection1517. I take it you like slow matches over flint?

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

If your referring to the date 1517, after my name. It is the year of the refomation when Luther had his "insurrection" so to speak against the Church of Rome and truly the authority of all the earth (as the pope was the head - who had control over all temporal authorities, etc.)

But anyway, no, I havn't got a chance to shoot a matchlock yet, but may like to try it someday.

Insurrection1517:

Hiya hiya! :D

Interesting, so your name is in connection with a certain fellow's 95 thesis's from the year 1517. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yep, an interesting year when the Matchlock was dominant and the first Wheellocks were beginning to be made. ::

Ya just gotta try a Matchlock! Once I did, slowmatch had to become the dominant ignition source for me. ::

Back