• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian45662

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I got a new to me pedersoli made brown bess. It has a white lightning touch hole liner in it so it should be pretty fast. I cant wait to shoot it but I have to wait all the way till monday :( I think I read on here some where that a guy can take a bess and converte it into a committee of safety musket. If that is true what is done to it and what does it cost?

Don't mean to sound slow but what is a "committee of safety musket" ? Just courious :confused:

I haven't studied the militia/military guns much but from what I have seen in a few sources the committe gun were often made with salvaged parts, often Bess parts and looked similar to the Bess in profile, it looks like one might have to mix up the furniture on a Bess, maybe tinker with the comb a bit,refinish to a lighter color if allready dark, maybe someone with more Bess/Committe savy will chime in.

TG, respectfully the guns to which you referred are those guns made all over the colonies and which have been traditionally considered to be "composite guns"as opposed to Committee of Safety guns which were made under contract with the various colonies pursuant to prescribed specifications set by the colonies."United States Martial Flintlocks"by Robert M.Reilly goes into these latter guns in great detail.Since they were by and large manufactured early in the revolution, they were pretty well used up and therefore are very rare and are highly sought after.Values reflect these factors. Composite guns on the other hand have been fairly slow to reach their potential values and prices in the $2500.00 to $5,000.00 range are not unusual.

As to converting a Bess into a Committee of Safety musket. I doubt it could be done satisfactorily and the two muskets mentioned are extremely rare Revolutionary War period guns and I don't know anyone building copies of either of them.
Tom Patton

That makes sense, the book I was looking at showed some composite muskets made by builders who were recorded to be contracted to make committe muskets
one of Neumans Encycos,I think they connected some dots in the index under committe muskets and the makers names and showed composit guns made by those makers,

hello.
I did all the work on my bess my self,
I started by taking off the nosecap and sanding
the stock round there.Then I sanded off the bulg
on the forarm to make it slimer,then
changed the sight. I also filed the trumpet off
the first ramrod thimble. Hope this helps.
TAC2

TAC2 said:
hello.
I did all the work on my bess my self,
I started by taking off the nosecap and sanding
the stock round there.Then I sanded off the bulg
on the forarm to make it slimer,then
changed the sight. I also filed the trumpet off
the first ramrod thimble. Hope this helps.
TAC2
not meaning to start any kind of argument here but I've been looking at a few pics of some Committee of Safety Muskets in Moore's "Weapons of the American Revolution", and every one of them has a nosecap and trumpet styled ramrod pipes. also the bulge on the forestock. This bulge was typical on European weapons of the period. I was just wondering where you got the ideas you mentioned in your conversion of losing the nosecap, sanding the bulge off, and taking the trumpet tip off the pipe? These are not readily studied guns due to the fact that very few have survived, because of useage from the beginning of the Revolution. :v

I saw one in a museum in Harridsburg Ky,
It wasent a bess, but it was made from bess
parts so i made mine look like it. some of the
folks at Fort Boonesburo thought it looked good
and so do I that all that matters.
TAC2.

TAC2, The original post queried as to whether a Brown Bess musket could be converted into a Committee of Safety musket.As I stated the Committe of Safety muskets were manufactured by gunsmiths in the various colonies in accordance with specifications dictated by the Committees of Safety in the individual colonies.I believe it would be exceedingly difficult to make such a conversion.These Committee of Safety guns are fairly rare having been mostly used up in the early days of the war.On the other hand we have the composite muskets both in full size{46" bbl. and approximately .75 cal.}and what some including George Neuman{"Battle Weapons of the American Revolution"}refer to as "Fusil Muskets" with a somewhat shorter barrel and British carbine bore of approximately .65 cal.These are the guns with mixed parts taken fron a myriad of guns including English,Dutch,French,German,and American guns to which I referred to as composite guns and which are found in far greater numbers than the few surviving Committee of Safety muskets.Quite a few are found in "Battle Weapons" as "American muskets".Some of these guns were also manufactured in the pre Revolutionary period as militia muskets and were put into service with the outbreak of war. These composite guns formerly were found in gun shows in large numbers for fairly low prices but they seem to be found now in smaller numbers and correspongly higher prices as I mentioned in my earlier post.I have always been fond of these composite muskets and I believe, without seeing your gun,that what you seem to have have done is to basically create a composite musket of the type which was very common before and in the first few years of the Revolution until the French guns began to appear in 1777.I do not doubt that some were made after that date but I do believe that after 1777 with the appearance of French guns that British styling, as evidenced by the distinctive hand rail butt styling of the Besses, began to be seen to a lesser degree.

The Fredericksburg{1776} and Rappahannock Forge {1780} muskets are exceedingly rare and a very few are known to exist today and should not be confused with other American muskets discussed above.

I hope this helps to clear up the confusion on these early American made muskets of the Revolutionary War period.
Tom Patton

I have to agree with Okwaho here, I think instead of a Committe of Safety Musket, you have made yourself a "composite musket. either way if you like it then what the hey. :v

Back