• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to Revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just purchased a brass frame 1861 Army Traditions. This is my first revolver, all of my experience is with rifles, so I am looking forward to making some smoke! Any sugestions on starting loads?

Is it .36 or .44 cal? If it is .36 than a powder charge of 20 grains is about right. If .44 then 25 grains works well. Being a brass framed gun I didn't give you full charge loads as they tend to wear these guns quickly. Get .375 diameter balls for the .36 and .451 or .454 dia for the .44. Good luck, I know you will have fun.

Don

My Pietta 1851 .44 Navy Confederate (brass frame) runs 22 grains and .454 balls. It seems to like it.

Don't forget the wonder-wads under the balls or the lube over-the-balls step........you'll only need one or the other, unless it's really DRY. Helps keep the fouling soft--better accuracy and easier clean-up too!

Dave

The hardest part in shooting cap-n-ball is not grinning ear to ear from the fun of it!
Sure is addicting. :thumbsup:

Lately I've been using the Circle Fly fiber wads. I order the 1/2 inch ones from TOW for about $8 for 500 if I remember right. I soak them in Crisco the night before and then when shooting I cut them in half before loading. That was I get 1000 for $8. Quite a bit cheaper than the felt wads I've been using that were about $5 or so for 100. They seem to lube better too. I used to have to wipe the fouling off the cylinder face after each round of six shots but since I've started using these lubed with Crisco that need has disapated.

Back