• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new to roundballs(loading)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaskBushMan

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Well I just picked up a T/C New Englander in absolute mint condition, I am going to shoot roundball and was wondering when hunting how do you carry your lubed patches and powder and RB to get a fast reload. Not that a fast reload is always needed. Thanks.

A lot of guys on this forum use the "loading block" which is nothing but a flat board with a series of holes drilled through big enough to handle the patched round ball. Do a search of loading block and you will turn up lots of pictures. As for a powder preload, I prefer paper cartridges like the military used, except that I don't include the ball ( it is in the loading block). I also do not prime first like the military did. I use the whole charge in the bore, load the ball, then prime out of a separate flask.

Loading block is fine, but you can make a fast reload cheap by using a prescription bottle, not PC. I cut a hole or drill, to fit your cal. patched ball, if you cut allway throught the lid, you can load from it, put your measured powder in vial, take a peice of leather and punch a hole to fit a cap,cut a notch in leather to let the cap pull off after put on nipple, tie around vial and tape. You have a fast load. I found one of these in the woods in 80's made for a 45, made them ever since. I use smallest size that works for each cal. Iam using. Dilly

SaskBushMan said:
"...how do you carry your lubed patches and powder and RB to get a fast reload. Not that a fast reload is always needed..."
TC makes excellent rifles and their lifetime warranty is second to none.

If I could offer a comment, I think the muzzleloader community has been done a disservice by marketing items called "speedloaders".

I think the term "speedloader" immediately plants the idea in our heads that we have to have a "speedloader at the ready"...when they really should simply be called pocket reloaders.

As an admitted muzzleloader hunter who is not a purist, I use what TC calls their "4-N-1 Quik Shots"...not for any notion of them being a speedloader for quick use, but simply for the convenience of carrying a couple of reloads in handy to use containers.

IMO, you're either going to shoot a deer and it'll fall within sight so there's no need for a fast reload...or the deer will bolt out of sight past trees/brush, making a second fast shot impossible anyway.

I think the goal is to really, really make the first shot count...then take a little time to enjoy the moment, note landmarks where the deer was standing and where it went, take 15-20 minutes to thoroughly wipe the bore and lock, then reload, and quietly go collect your deer.

:thumbsup:

I carry my powder in a section of cane that I've whittled plugs to act as stoppers. The balls in a loading block, that is counterBored to fit over the muzzle so the ball is automagically centered over the bore. The lubed patch is in the block along with the ball. Purty quick, if'n I do say so meself. :winking:

off the topic a bit. recently purchased and sold a new englander, did not much luck with round balls at hunting velocity. tried several combos of ball diameter and patches. mediocre groups. the 1:48 twist is truly a compromise and since I prefer round balls there are better rifles for that. the rifle also prferred black powder over 777 had several misfires with it. if you stay within 70- 80 grains it might be OK
JB

I use speed loaders. They are nothing more than a tube of the right caliber with a cap on one end. I use a patched roundball for the other end. I remove the cap and pour the powder in the barrel and use a short starter to push the ball into the barrel.

I don't really use them for a fast second shot. I just use them for the convienence of not carrying a pouch and horn out where they can snag on things or generally get in the way. I just put five speed loaders, a short starter and either a capper or priming horn in a pocket an I'm ready to go.

When hunting with RB I use the bullet board and the powder in these speedloaders which look like a tube with a cap on each side. When using conicals I have the T/C speedloader with me. It carries the powder in a container upside together with the cap. downside there is a tube in which the conical is placed. This tube you put on a cylinder which works as a short starter. Works all fine and very fast with a bit training.

I use either paper cartridges (ball included) or speed loaders, depending on how much time I have to get ready for the hunt.
Paper cartrdges are fun to make if you have the time. The trick is making a forming dowel that will make a tube that slides down your barrel easily and can hold a ball. I use two wonder wads between the ball and powder and then tie a piece of thread just behind the ball to hold a little lube. I use chapstick. I think the paper around the ball helps grab the rifling because it is surprisingly accurate.
A little trick I learned when using prb's in speedloaders is to put a small wad of toilet paper between the patched ball and the powder. This keeps the powder from soaking into the patch and swelling. I almost lost a wounded elk because of this. Long story, the gist of it is I was watching as a crippled cow elk got up and started walking away while I had a VERY stuck ball about 8" from the muzzle. It all turned out well in the end and I learned a good lesson. Bill

i once fired at a bedded deer (bad idea), and struck it;'s bottom shoulder with my .54 (worse idea) it jumped up confused as to what happned, it was windy and i was stalking- luckily it let me duck behind a tree and reload. I did so from a possibles bag without speedloaders. I sure could have used on though. The next shot put it down for good, but i will never forget how bad i felt trying to reload as i peered around the tree to see the deer luckily standing still with a busted shoulder. be ready for anything. one shot is what should happen, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.

Back