• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to the forum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishdog

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, This is the first time on this site. I am glad to find other people crazy enough to build rifles. I have been building rifles for around 12 to 15 years on and off. The only other person I knew to get help from here in Georgia died several years ago. Its great to be here. :grin:

Welcome to the Builders Bench and to the Muzzleloading Forum.

Sorry to hear about your mentor. I think you will find there are a number of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable about building muzzleloading rifles and they will be more than happy to help anyone with a queston.

If you have any thoughts on any of the posts, don't be bashful, jump right in. The more knowledge we gather the better for all of us. :)

Again, Glad to have you with us. :)

Welcome to the bench,

Lots of knowledge here, just remember there are

no dumb questions.......

Gary

Hey Fishdog, I live in Dahlonega. Theres a couple of people around here that build. Welcome to the site. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys.
Roy are you any relation to Jim Stroh? He was a gunsmith in our area.

Hey Fishdog, I live in Marietta and am a beginner. Built my first rifle, a southern colonial period .54 earlier this year and now am getting the parts together to build a 1765 fowler in the English style as made in the colonies.

I would like to hook up and share ideas etc and make some smoke. you can contact me offlist by going to my profile.

fishdog,

Do you specialize in any specific type of rifle,ie Lancasters,Southern Mountain,etc?

Actually no, never heard of him. My fathers name is Tom, and he's a gunbuilder. :winking: We (GA people) should all get together sometimes. :thumbsup:

I try not to follow any period to close. I am building a half stock (my first from scrath rifle). It is based on a Tenn. Mountian Rifle. Insted of using keys I am pinning the barrel. This type of building seems wrong to some but it is what I like. If I were building back in the day I would have Built in a simular style to what a mentor tought me. So thats what I do now.
I think a meeting of the minds for the Ga. boys is a great idea. We need to set it up.

Hey Fishdog, Welcome
Hello from Norcross. I am interested in building but have yet to attempt such a project. I would like to be in touch with local guys who are building flintlocks. i would sure like to see a project first hand.

I guess all we need is a time and a place to get together. :thumbsup:

Hey Fishdog and everyone else from GA. I live in Snellville and work in New Orleans. I build when I can get home. If you all get something together, as far as a shoot or just a jaw-jacking session, let me know. None of my friends shoot black powder and most don't understand why I build 'em. I've built a few rifles over the past few years. Nothing to brag about yet, but still a great excuse to spend time in the workshop.

My friends say the same thing. Lets set a date in march for a Gathering. Lets say the first Saturday in March.

We need to think of some place we can have fire arms :hmm: . If we do not bring rifles, Hooters is always good. Even though I don`t like the food.

Sorry, but as moderator I must ask that private messages should be done using the Forums PT system.
Click on the persons name over in the left hand column. When you get to their "Home" click on the private Message box up at the top of the page.

Zonie

Back