• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new to the sport - is traditions deerhunter okay?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

setterman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just started flintlock hunting here in Sw PA last year with a borrowed T/C. Had to give it back. Am looking for an entry-level gun for the second season that starts on the 27th. Gander mountain has a traditions deerhunter for $150. Is this a good buy or am I looking at headaches down the road? Of course, my two English setters are not happy at all about this, since it's gonna cut into their grouse hunting!

HEY SETTERMAN......
I am a BEAGLEER.....I KNOW WHAT YA MEAN when ya say yer setters wont be happy 'bout this.....
I am gonna jump on yer question before anyone else cuz I have seen the general opinion 'bout TRADITIONS guns on here before.....
well... Most or at least some of the previous posts 'bout TRADITIONS guns are not that positive....
most will claim weak locks...generally lesser quality workmanship when it comes to fit and finish...etc....
almost everybody LOVES the thompson center lifetime
warrenty...etc...etc...etc...
Generally speaking......I find find the TRADITIONS
guns acceptable....considering my my BLACKPOWDER ALLOWANCE..
I guess I rank in the lower financial percentile...
more close to "POORBOY " I would say....
I own a TRADITIONS SHENNANDOAH FLINTER...quite happy with it
shoots where I point and no ignition problems in the last 5 years...I can tell by inspection that it is a run of the mill "PRODUCTION " gun... I also own 2 LYMAN rifles
a .50 TRADE and a .50 GREAT PLAINS RIFLE.....BOTH OF WHICH I also LOVE TO DEATH.....
On the other hand.....
I have handled many ORIGINAL BEAUTIES....FLINT AND PERCUSSION....I was in WESTON WEST VIRGINA yesterday and stopped at a pawnshop...He had a .38 caliber fullstock percussion gun...BEAUTIFUL..!!!! BUT $2250 was WAY above my means.....ya know????
So I guess I want to say that Black powdere rifles
are available in all price ranges and QUALITIES...
It will be your gun so YOU must live with it..love it
and USE it....
Hey...ya gotta start somewhere....and you can always
UPGRADE...not meaning that TRADITIONS are "bad"
To be to the point.....Yes TRADITIONS ARE o.k....
Smokepoling is a great hobby that can GROW into a LIFESTYLE.
I started 32 years ago....1 pistol.....
to look back now I have a hard time remembering all the guns I had ...all the guns I sold....all the changes I have made in my gunroom......I still wish I had about 20 of those
smokepoles....OH WELL...live and learn...
FURTHERMORE....glad to have ya in the FORUM.
Read and LEARN...
i START WITH 1 pistol ...'51 navy.....now I have 18.
Been thinning down my rifles....now only have 15.
I need a BIGGER gunroom....my LOVE for blackpowder
guns has grown and grown and grown!!!! I love every minute of it!
Keep us informed! let us know what yer decision turned out to be...and you will see that you will love the company here at the FORUM! ASKIN fer advice is fine...but you have to make up your own mind and live with yer decisions...
I always say to GO WITH THE GUT feeling after you have learned enough to make a wise decision....you are the one who has to live with it....I love my SHENNANDOAH.....WHO
cares What I shoot as long as I shoot good....
it is my gun ...that is what matters.....

I EVEN DREAM IN BLACKPOWDER!!!

ENJOY YERSELF...LIFE IS SHORT.
KEEP YER POWDER DRY AND HOLD A FINE BEAD!!!

****** WV SCROUNGER *****

HA..HA.. forgot ta tell ya...
OUR MUZZLELOADING SEASON DOWN HERE IN WV started 1 week earlier than yours....DEC 13 thru the 18.
I hunt right on the state line between WV and Pa.
SO i guess all the BIG BUCKS tha I spook will run over the state line right into yer territory and you can have a crack at them...

goodluck

***** WV SCROUNGER ***

Midsouth Shooters Supply has the Lyman Deerstalker listed in the last catalog i have for $229 in rt. hand flint. It may have gone up a little, but it is a much better rifle for the money than the Traditions.

If the ignition works well, you'll be happy with the Traditions Deerhunter. Mine has worked fine. That's not everyone's experience, though.

Considering how soon flintlock season starts, you don't have much time to work up a load, sight it in, and overcome ignition problems (if there are any).

I would buy a traditions gun before I would buy another cva, Never had any trouble with my traditions hawkens. :imo:

Hey, I like my Traditons Deerhunter, too. I also used it to introduce both of my kids to Black Powder. Mine has a roundball twist though, and I don't think that Traditions makes this model with 1:66 rifling anymore.

FYI my 13 year old daughter used the gun in the early season eventhough I had a scoped inline available for her to use. She really loves to shoot my Deerhunter. I think Santa may bring her one; so that I can get mine back.

I just finished a Traditions Deerhunter kit in 50 cal 1:48
twist . It is a percussion though and I shot it 3 weeks ago for the first time and have shot it at lesat 3 times a week since 10 to 12 times a session of shooting and have had good success with every shot. At 75 yards it now is in a
2" group.
:imo:Bottom line is like scrounger said. If you like the piece and it fits your budget then go for it.
If you can hold off and save more $$'s to add to it then get a better quality bang stick later, then do that.

Woody

In a percussion they will nearly all go bang when you pull the trigger. That cannot be said about a flinter though. It is a different animal. Spend a little more money with a flinter.

I had quite a bit of trouble setting the flint if I used the neat, straight-edged, diamond -cut flints, mine functions well though with knapped flints.

Thanks for the info lBeagler - I think I'm going with the PA pellet model - I like idea of the removable breech plug and the price seems perfect. There's a few fellows who run beagles where I pheasant hunt and the sound is just music to the ears. My sibling setters take a break and watch the action (just barely though - since I allow them to run rabbits when they're around). Patch (the big male) has actually pointed cottontails and will relocate as needed. Not bad for a field-trial burner. I certainly didn't teach him that move.

wvsrounger,Hi!Did You get anything this muzzleloader season? I hunt WV around Middle Mountain Rd. southeast of Elkins. I also hunt the Weston area too (Stonewall) I live in southeastern Ohio. Our season starts next Monday (Mon. after X-mas). Ever get up here?We have some great big buck hunting in area. I killed a real nice 9 point that weighed around 300# live! Maybe I'll run into You sometime in the hills of Weston. I'd love to live there someday! Jeff Drown

Good advice - did some more research and waited for a steal over at Dick's sporting goods. Picked up a T/C Firestorm for the ridiculously low price of $270 after all the discounts. Last one in the store! Shot it in yesterday and it performed great with 90 grains FF at 50 and 100 yards. Love the gun, especially the sights. Had to work the flint around though, but once I set it - it went off reliably. Can't wait to stomp in the snow with it on Monday.

Back