• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New underhammer thunder-boomer!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks to the H&A underhammer thread here and an evil enabler of a friend of mine, I'm the new owner of an underhammer.

Innocently enough, several weeks ago I casually mentioned to my friend that I missed not having an underhammer in my modest collection of black powder guns.

Fast forward to this past week. He informs me that he'd spotted one hanging on the wall of a local gun shop...

"What caliber"?

"I dunno".

"What brand"?

"I dunno".

"How's the bore look"?

"I dunno".

"Are there any markings on it"?

"I dunno, I didn't handle it, but ya better have a look if you're interested, it just arrived on commission".

:doh: :doh: :doh: Another reminder to search out new friends! :haha:

I found time to take a look-see.

She's a 58 caliber, with a 1 1/8" X 32" barrel. Yep, she's heavy. It's rate of twist seems to be 1 in 80".

Marked:
Challanger/Northeast
HOA Improved...(the 'O' has a dot in its center).
Solon, Maine

It is further marked:
Deerstalker
Cal 58

It looked unfired and I quickly gave the asking price.

My enabling friend found that he actually knew the gun's original owner. He told my buddy that he had purchased it at Friendship 35 or 40 years ago and he had indeed never fired it. More a collector than shooter. :idunno:

I scrambled to find some suitable spheres to fire from it as none of my buddies own 58's.

Luck struck at an Army surplus store a town away.

Armed with the .570's, I fired 15-20 rounds before the sun gave way that evening. I'm happy to report that it shot a ragged, 5-shot hole with only 70 grains of 2f right away. This was only at 35 yards, but showed potential. I managed to kill my 60 yard gong a few times too.

Love the throaty BOOM she belches even with the modest for caliber powder charge. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to working more with it. In fact I bought some patching material today, and 100 more roundballs. The .570's require a thinner patch than I would like and I'm on the hunt for a .562 mould. I'm thinking that would be ideal at this point.

That said, if it will shoot well with these balls and the new patching holds up better than the flimsy pillow ticking from its maiden voyage, I may be looking for a .570 mould. We will see.

It's been tough enduring the TERRIBLE March weather here today with my new toy sitting idle. :shake:

If any of you know any history or other information about this maker or model, I'm all ears. I couldn't dig up too much about it.

Had to share.

You all take care, Skychief :hatsoff:

I have a UH in 45 cal....I also have a 58 in
Zouave cal. In that I use 55 gr. 2f with a 570 rb
and a .018 patch. The zoo I have shot in compition
for 20 years and out as far as 100 yds. I tell you
this only as a point of reference...not telling
you what to do.

Wulf

58 caliber, with a 1 1/8" X 32" barrel. Yep, she's heavy. It's rate of twist seems to be 1 in 80".

Interesting score. :applause:
With that twist I would have thought much (much-much) heavier charges would be needed to get decent grouping. That said:
:photoSmile:

:grin: You are one lucky chicken thief, alright. ?There's just something about the way an underhammer "hangs" when shouldered. Can't describe it but it can sure be felt. :v:

Shot the rifle Sunday afternoon at my buddy's farm.

Six friends showed, shooting all manner of black powder guns. Even with some trying to hint at a disinterest, if not, distaste for underhammers in general, my rifle being no exception, they were practically lining up to shoot it as the afternoon wore on.

We were killing the steel pig at 50 yards, the steel deer at 120, and scaring the manure out of the turkey at about 175 until the "feathers finally flew"! :thumbsup:

It was real windy, blustery. Still, the heavy 58 caliber balls proved to buck it well even way out yonder.

The gun is a pussy cat where recoil is involved. Be it the heavy weight and/or its stock's architecture, it just shoves its operator really.

I'm liking it. Something new and different.

I'm currently deciding what sights I want to put on it. I've found the sights on it aren't suiting me.

Thinking about a long bar peep with elevation adjustment riding in the dovetail mated with a beaded front sight might be nice. Easy to pick out hunting in the woods.

Otherwise, a thick partridge front with a square notch rear is a system I've always got along well with.

After Sunday's shoot, my buddies are urging me to work with some sights capable of 200+ yard shooting.

I don't know. Sounds nice, but that heavy ball has some trajectory and a rear sight with those adjustments may only come in the form of a tang mounted peep. Don't think I want that on the gun just to chase the occasional metallic silhouette.

Like I wrote, I don't know. :idunno:

Best regards, Skychief

Sounds like a nice gun. Dont ask too much from it and it wont disappoint you. Sure you may be able to dial in a 200 yd load but what about 208 yards? Yer gonna hit low. Can you tell the differnce in 8 yds at 200? Me either. W/O a range finder (a GOOD expensive one) and a note book with 2 months loads n range time it will always be a 200 yard (exactly) gun. I'd zero at 100 and then learn the rise/fall for from 25-125. Then you will always be happy with it.

*** Disclaimer, I have never even seen an under hammer yet. I do own 3 .58's and they are zeroed in at 90 yds I would assume the trajectories will be similar though :idunno:

Skychief said:
Marked:

Challanger/Northeast

HOA Improved...(the 'O' has a dot in its center).

Solon, Maine

The "HOA" is most likely H&A (Hopkins and Allen).

When Numrich Arms stopped making the H&A underhammer's, they sold the rights/etc to that fella in Maine, who made them for a few more years (IDK exactly how many years).

I believe Skychief is right. H&A/Numrich sold the name to a guy in Maine named Goodman or something, I found in my research. It now belongs to Deer Run ML, but they no longer produce UH rifles. I was interested because I have a H&A Offhand in .36 caliber which I like a lot and which is in excellent shape...I repaired the forend which was split from a crack. It shoots very well at my .36 caliber range which is the extent of my 73 year old eyes. Very quick and steady.

Hi,
One of the features of a H&A type underhammer rifle, is that you can switch calibres in a moment.
Drift out the cross pin, if it is an older H&A type, and slide in a different cal. barrel.
The newer type with set screws are equally as simple to change barrels.
So with one stocked action the sky is the limit as to how many BP barrels you want.
Try that with your regular other type of muzzleloaders.
Although Hawken type muzzle loaders can have different barrels but with more care to the breech plug tang fitting.
Please enjoy your great find, and do tell us more of it's great feats.
Mine has a .36,.40,.45,.50,.54,.58 and a 12 gauge barrel. Just think seven guns, a bargain price, all on one platform.
Have a great day!
Fred

Gene L said:
Mine has the drift pin, and I read somewhere that the pin is tapered so it only drifts one way.
That's why you need a BIG hammer! :shake:
Yes they really do go in from one side only.
You should have a few spare pins, especially if you remove the pins often.
Have a great Day!
Fred

Gene L said:
Mine has the drift pin, and I read somewhere that the pin is tapered so it only drifts one way.

It is tapered, a standard Morse taper, #2 if I remember right. It locks a barrel in very tightly and won't move until you tap it the right direction to detach a barrel. Never had an issue with my H&A in 45 years. I intend to convert my Deer Creek to tapered pin. Set screws just seem all wrong on an ML.

Gene L said:

Correct for the older (original). Can't speak for the newer stuff. Some kind of non-marring material should be used when you hit the pin. Wood, brass, etc.

Latest posts

Back