• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie first imp. w/ .54 Plains Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Al

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been so enthralled with my .54 Deerstalker that I decided to give the .54 plains pistol a try.

The first 10-15 shots, I couldn't hit the proverbial broad side of a barn w/ it. Then I finally figured out how to hold that strange (to me) grip steady, and began knocking a big hole out of the paper just left of the bullseye at 25 yards, offhand. I was ready to adjust the sight, but before I did I sandbagged it and cut a 4-shot (lucky) cloverleaf just below the bullseye, dead center up and down. I obviously need to work on my form to bring my offhand groups to center. After about 2 hours of shooting I had to quit because that round triggerguard was starting to hammer the index knuckle on my support hand.

Questions:

I only had FFG to use the first day, so I made do with 50 grain loads all day. I now have 3 pounds of FFFg to shoot up - what do you guys think would be a good staring load? I know that 50 gr. FFFg is max in the gun.

Also, what do you guys do with your support hands to keep that trigger guard from busting you up? I tried several different holds, but short of "teacup and saucer" that triggerguard was biting me in one way or another.

I love this stuff!!!!!

To fix the triggerguard biting problem you might try reducing the load a bit.

I know it isn't the macho thing to do but the Lyman Black Powder Handbook shows powder loads for the .54 single shot ranging from 35 to 50 grains of 2Fg and 3Fg powder.
The 3Fg powder is a hotter load so if 50 grains of 2Fg is causing your recoil problem then 40 grains of 3Fg will give you about the same velocity (and damaged fingers).

Next time, try a 35 grain load of 3Fg under a patched roundball. That will give about 910 FPS to that 220 grain ball. :grin:

Not to mention that 50 grain loads will crack the stock in a steady diet. I've done that to three of them. One only lasted 7 shots.

30 to 35 grains is plenty of powder.

The trigger on the plains pistol tends to be a little hard from the factory. Messing around with the internal pieces will void the warranty. Once the warranty runs out, its easy to lighten up. Start by cutting one coil off the spring that puts pressure on the top of the sear. If that doesn't do it, try another half coil. I also change the angle on the full cock notch on the tumbler so that it is closer to the pivot on the tumbler. The sear is also worked to match the angle. A fine grained stone is best for this. My trigger breaks at just over a pound with a tiny bit of creep.

My opinion is that if the trigger won't break with the weight of the gun, then the trigger pull is too heavy.

I have a .54 Bondini Hawken pistol that has a similar configuration to the GP pistol. I only use 25 grains in it. Off a bench or two handed it will make one big ragged hole with ten shots.

I use 50 grains in my .54 rifle for target work. As Zonie mentioned, you are taking a chance of cracking the stock continually using stout loads in a pistol.

Back