• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie needing info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evil_opie

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to the group and the fine art of muzzleloading. I recently picked up a Traditions Hawken Woodsman 50cal Percussion 28" 1:48 twist. I Haven't shot it yet, but itching to. I've been reading all the posts I can find regarding load (and other things). Most are referencing a TC or another brand. Does anyone here have any load recommendations that would give me somewhere to start. I'm not set on either RB or conical. I've seen a few post indicating that the 1:48 twist was developed with conicals in mind. I'll be using it next fall during MI late season and possibly during the early doe season, so I have some time to tinker and have fun.
Thanks,
EO

Not sure about the Traditions but I would start with about 50grns ffg and a prb (.490) and go from their. Each ML has its own unique love a load. I have .50 TC Hawken and it likes around 90 grns of ffg and 65 grns of fffg. It does like conicals (1:48) but it also does love prb. Have gotten 2 inch groups at 50 yards with the above load of ffg.
Try several loads at each measure of powder and tinker. If you do not have a traditions manual for the rifle you can get one at no cost from Traditions.

Waya :m2c:

welcome:
while i'am still fairly new to bp shooting, i might br able to help. i once owned a red river hawken sold by one of the big catalog stores. it was .50 cal also and 1 : 48 twist.
i used 60 gr. pyrodex .490 rb with .015 lubed patch. best i ever got was 6" group @ 50 yds. tried conicals, evem worse. the only thing that shot well was a sabot.
to make a long story short i would start with the rb combo but i.ve now learned that black powder guns like real bp the best. try above load with 3fg goex and make small adjustments to one thing at a time.
i'am sure you will get better advise here but if not this will get you on the way.

keep us updated! :) :results:

I have the same Traditions rifle in left hand percussion. It shoots RB very well. I prefer a little heavier bullet so I use the Buffalo Ball-et, 240 or 245 gr I think. It shoots them equally well. My load is 70 gr fffg. Its a fun rifle for sure. Enjoy

I have a Traditon's Woodsman but mine has a 1-66 twist barrel. If I load 70 grains of FFFg and a patched roundball this rifle will really shoot. The accuracy is exceptional. You have a real nice rifle.

Hey evil:

I don't know my Michigan all too well, but if you are free on the 15th, there's a "Black Powder through the ages" shoot going on at the Washtinaw Sportsmen's club in Ypsilanti Twp. that you'd be welcome to attend. If you (or anyone else on the board in the area) want to see the invite, email me at [email protected] and I'll send you a copy of the invitation document. It's going to be an N-SSA-type shoot, but not affiliated with the organization and open to any non-repeater BP shooters.

Cheers!

:thumbsup:

i have a T/C hawken flintlock with a 28" 1=48" twist barrel and i've gotten a load down for rb and sabots that shoot the same poa....

hornady's .490 ball
T/C's prelubed .015 patch
70 grains 3f

T/C's cheap shot 240 gr hp sabot
80 grains 3f

so i can use any of the two loads and use the same sight setting and don't have to touch a thing....

and here's a 50 off hand target from the oct shoot we had.....................bob

target

Bob1961,
who won that oct. shoot do you have any idea??? :hmm: :hmm: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :master: :peace: :)
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:

What 'ol Bob forgot to mention was , yes it was an off hand group, it's just that he wasn't the one who fired it. He had his wife shoot the group for him. :crackup: :crackup: But at least they kept it in the family. :: :relax: Bob, just kiddin' ya.

Thanks alot everyone. It seems Traditions has done there homework. You all have validated the owners manual. When it quits raining and warms up a little here in MI I'll be hitting the range. Thanks for the invite on the 15th, unfortunately I'll be trying to finish up some projects during the long weekend and won't be able to make it.

:peace:

I have a traditions 50 cal hawkens, i use 50gr of ff up to 50 yards and 85gr of ff at 100 yards with a .490 round ball and a .015 patch :m2c:

Back