• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie Pyro qestion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Throckmorton

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I see there is a 'Select' version of Pyrodex that is touted as giving better accuracy and ignigion.
What say the board?
So far we are just plinking with our .50 and trying different powders,but I"m sure someone here has an opinion on this to help us decide whether it's worth looking for or tryiing.

Stick with black powder if you can get it. Pyro Select IMO is not worth the price difference. I used RS and then tried Select and found it to be larger grained and would not work as well in my flask and measure. Couldn't tell any difference in shooting so it wasn't worth it to me. I went to Goex and haven't looked back.
Fox :thumbsup:

Best piece of advice I was given: "what does your gun like". I have found that what works for someone else may not work for me. In my case my 2 M/Ls have no problems with Pyrodex RS. I enjoy the "tinkering" part of BP shooting. So try different things and see what your gun tells you.

First time I shot BP at the range I had about 25% success rate. 1 in 4 tigger pulls resulted in the gun firing. Reading the posts in this forum and "tinkering" I about 100% fire rate now. I started 3 months ago. Good Luck and Enjoy!

Thanks for the replies.
I definatley don't want larger grains.Jams the flask,as you say Silverfox.
real bp is a long drive to acqurie for me,and we don't shoot enough to warrant it.A buddy is gonna sell me a pound in a couple of weeks,so we'll try it just for the BOOM factor.:)

My experiance with Select came about when I went to the local Gun Store to buy some Pyrodex RS.
They were out of the RS but had some Select.
Even though it cost about $5 more a pound, I though why not?

I was sorely dissapointed with the results.
The Select seemed to have more misfires and my guns seemed to be less accurate.

I eventually shot the powder up, but I decided then and there I would never buy Select again, even if the RS and P were not available.

Zonie said:
My experiance with Select came about when I went to the local Gun Store to buy some Pyrodex RS.
They were out of the RS but had some Select.
Even though it cost about $5 more a pound, I though why not?

I was sorely dissapointed with the results.
The Select seemed to have more misfires and my guns seemed to be less accurate.

I eventually shot the powder up, but I decided then and there I would never buy Select again, even if the RS and P were not available.

Same experience...only bought one pound...RS thereafter

My personal experiences with Prrodex RS Select have been less than desirable. I use traditional sidelock Hawken style rifles and utilize nothing but CCI #11 Magnum primers and have never had problems with regular Pyrodex but can't say the same for Pyrodex Select. I've had numerous problems with ignition. Mostly hangfires. Due to the fact that a pound of Pyrodex Select costs several dollars more per pound than regular Pyrodex RS I can hardly justify the additional cost.

I've shot RS and Select. I have experienced no problems with Select but don't think any advantages would be worth the extra cost.
BTW, Pyrodex has gone thru several formulation changes over the years. So if you tried it many years ago and didn't like it you might try the newer stuff. I guess the reverse could also be true.

Latest posts

Back