• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple more questions:

*When swabbing the bore, what do I put on the swab? Windex? Gun oil? Something else?

*How long after a successful shot should I wait to reload or swab the bore?

You can use:
Spit
Water
Soapy Water
Windex
Moose Snot
Rubbing Alcohol (90%+) {this is my choice}
or any other number of concoctions or solvents that will work on black powder residue

Swab as soon as you want.

And when cleaning the gun at home, should you remove all the metal parts from the wood stock before cleaning?

And when done, just oil the barrel inside and out, along with the lock?

Naw.
Remove the lock to clean and oil it.
If the barrel is easy to remove remove it for cleaning. If it is pinned then just plug the vent or nipple and be careful not to slosh too much.
If the barrel is easy to remove then just immerse the nipple or flash hole end in a bucket with a few inches of soapy water in it and put a wet patch on a jag or a mop and pump. Do that a number of times then dump the water and remove the nipple. Set nipple aside for further cleaning. Put a couple inches of clean rinse water in the bucket and pump it again a number of times. Dump the water and do it again, this time with a clean mop or patched jag. Should be clean now. Dry patches for drying. After a few dry patches I put some 90%+ isopropyl alcohol down the barrel, swab it again then take it into the bathroom and hit it with the hair dryer for a few minutes down the bore and nipple port. After that oil it down with your bore protectant of choice. Return to the nipple, clean it and dry it well then put a tiny drop of oil on the threads, return it to the gun snug but not torqued down. Store it in the safe muzzle down.

Cynthialee said:
Naw.
If the barrel is easy to remove remove it for cleaning. If it is pinned then just plug the vent or nipple and be careful not to slosh too much.
If the barrel is easy to remove then just immerse the nipple or flash hole end in a bucket with a few inches of soapy water in it and put a wet patch on a jag or a mop and pump. Do that a number of times then dump the water and remove the nipple. Set nipple aside for further cleaning. Put a couple inches of clean rinse water in the bucket and pump it again a number of times. Dump the water and do it again, this time with a clean mop or patched jag. Should be clean now. Dry patches for drying. After a few dry patches I put some 90%+ isopropyl alcohol down the barrel, swab it again then take it into the bathroom and hit it with the hair dryer for a few minutes down the bore and nipple port. After that oil it down with your bore protectant of choice. Return to the nipple, clean it and dry it well then put a tiny drop of oil on the threads, return it to the gun snug but not torqued down. Store it in the safe muzzle down.
Do this religiously after each range session and your BP firearm will last longer than you! :thumbsup:

azmntman said:
yep. Make SURE the ball is all the way down on the powder with NO GAP AT ALL. Also make sure barrell is dry after you clean it. Yer addicted. Once ya go black ya never go back.

That's what the young Aboriginal ladies kept telling me when I lived out west! I just took their word for it!

Cynthialee said:
Naw.

what she said ... you might want to consider getting Dutch Schoultz' method (here's a link...
http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

this will tighten your groups... most of what he says is for rifle, but it will work for pistol as well ...

good luck, and make good smoke!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back