• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Need feedback from all you savages out there that would probably prefer to scalp your neighbor's barking dog versus asking the owner to shut it up. I have just acquired some land that I will be hunting blackpowder on. I am new to BP and I am thinking about a Traditions Tennessee Rifle .50 cal percussion. Is this an ok gun to start with, what kind of groups can I expect at 50 or 100 yards. I guess I will be cleaning it with windex after every shooting session???!!!

What else do I need? Where is there a quick guide on the web I can check? I supposed I'll have to measure the amount of powder that I use to make sure I do not blow my face off huh?

Hammerfall Traditions makes a pretty decent midrange priced gun I own one very accurate. start out with 50 gr 2f blk pwd or pyrodex [you'll probably get better results with blk pwd] go up in grains of powder till your satisfied with accuracy i suggest .015 to .018 pillow ticking for patch mat and .490 rb don't be afeerd to experiment with diff patches different lubes etc you'll find one that shoots center good luck and welcome
weasel

Hammerfall: It sounds like you are already reading the stuff on this forum. I think after you have read most of the Posts here you will have a good idea of how to take care of your rifle.

To answer your question about measuring the powder: YES you will need a measure. I would suggest one which is adjustable with a range of 50 to 100 grains.

No one can tell you what load to use in YOUR gun though because to get the best accuracy a little experimentation is needed. For a .50 cal, some like .490 dia balls, some like .495 dia. Some like .012, .015, .017 .??? thick patches. Some like FFg, or FFFg, or Pyrodex P or Pyrodex RS.

Before you get discouraged though, IMO your gun should hold about a 2 1/2 inch group from a rest at 50 yards with any round ball/patch/powder combination. The "finding the best" is to get the groups down below 1 inch. The "just what she wants" load will hold under 1 inch at 50 yards.
100 yards is a little more "iffie" because the round ball is wind sensitive and because your using Iron sights. You should be able to hold a 4 inch group from the bench without problems when your using the right load.

Speaking of loads, these.50 cal guns usually (but not always) hold their best groups with 50-70 grains of powder. IMO a hunting load should be in the 80-100 grain range. Be sure to test it with that kind of load to see where she's shooting before you go hunting.

As for our neighbors barkin' dog, we'uns ain't inta' scalpin sum ol' hound 'lessin he sucks eggs or kils ar chikens. Up in them thar hills tho 'am injuns often biled up 'ir dogs as a' special stew fer tha'r guests. I'm a tol' it wer kinda tasty too.
smile.gif

Back