• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newest Ian Pratt rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is the latest work from Ian Pratt.

IMG_5985.JPGIMG_5987.JPGIMG_5990.JPGIMG_5991.JPG

Your rifle is a beauty! The decorative carving is outstanding. Well done, Mr. Pratt!

Any additional details would be welcome… type of lock, caliber, etc. Also, what is that on the forestock in the area of the middle ramrod pipe? Is that a repair, or sleeve of some kind?

Notchy Bob

It is a .50cal. with Chambers Golden Age. It is supposed to be a repair. Probably for looks.
It isn't my rifle. I'm not on his list.
Pratt has quit taking orders. A couple of years ago at the Knoxville show he told me that he didn't like the pressure of having customers waiting. Now he has a list of customers and builds a rifle. Then he calls down the list. If you don't want it, he goes to the next person on the list.

That’s actually a repair out there on the forestock. The stock had a bad place there very early in the construction. It’s a really nice touch and works well with the antiquing done on the rest of the rifle.

It is a .50cal. with Chambers Golden Age. It is supposed to be a repair. Probably for looks.
It isn't my rifle. I'm not on his list.
Pratt has quit taking orders. A couple of years ago at the Knoxville show he told me that he didn't like the pressure of having customers waiting. Now he has a list of customers and builds a rifle. Then he calls down the list. If you don't want it, he goes to the next person on the list.

That’s actually a repair out there on the forestock. The stock had a bad place there very early in the construction. It’s a really nice touch and works well with the antiquing done on the rest of the rifle.
Thanks for both of these comments. It is my understanding that several top-level builders (e.g. Don Bruton) have stopped taking orders, and build guns to suit themselves. These appear to sell well, and the builder doesn’t have to deal with finicky and impatient clients. It’s kind of a loss for the muzzleloading community at large, but I certainly don’t fault the builders who set their own boundaries.

I would agree that the repair/reinforcement on the forestock is neatly done, and does not detract. I was just wondering what it was. Now we know!

Notchy Bob

Back