• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nice Doe Down

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robtattoo

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I managed to hang my tag on another Doe last night. I was sat in my Vertigo stand again (7' ladder stand) when this little lady came walking towards me across the neighbor's field. As soon as she entered the wood I readied myself for the shot. She made a left turn along the fenceline offering me a broadside shot at roughly 45yds.
I steadied Thumpy against the rail around my stand & centered the sight on her chest.
As the cloud of smoke cleared, I could see a small twig, vibrating like crazy, but no deer.
Hmmmm....

I reloaded (just in case) & climbed down from my stand to see what was going on. I figured one of 3 things; I missed & she'd run off, I made a poor a poor shot & I'd have some trailing to do in the dark or I'd made a great shot & she'd dropped on the spot.

I got over to the bush & there she was. It turned out that I must've clipped the little branch & the ball deflected. I missed the heart/lung shot I was aiming for but the ball entered her neck, exactly where I'd want to make a neck shot with a centerfire. The ball had severed her spine & she died instantly.

2011-12-11_17-04-38_948.jpg

Nice job, I'm hoping to get one just like her in the next week, maybe two, but would be quite happy with one.

Well, Luck be a Lady! Glad to hear that twig steered that ball in to her neck! :thumbsup:

Good job. :thumbsup:Might be a reason for a double ball load. The way my luck runs both balls would hit the twig. :( Once again :thumbsup: Larry

Back