• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Niell Fields Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flint62Smoothie said:
You must have bought that after we left the show ... as you didn't show me THAT, haha!

Shine said:
It was under the table. lol
What :confused: ? You had it there and didn't show me/us :idunno: ? Darn it, and here I thought I had entered your circle of trust ...

littlefockers2a.jpg

1-66" Douglas barrel?

Regardless, at 6.5# it will be a pleasure to carry and hunt with. I hope that it shoots as well as it looks.

:bow:
Ahhhh......that lock!!! I think it has abeauty too it! Love that grain, that's a real pearl!

I must be part Amish tho......just don't care for a maker scratching his name in the metal.....nor the numbers, maybe a makers " mark" tastefully done would ok~ Putting a name is kinda like a brag, but I considers a " Gods gift" to be real talented....

Otherwise....man, that a NICE piece of Americana !!! Your son will treasure it!

Herb the other is a .58 cal Hawken brass and steel with a pewter nose cap made in 1978, the barrel is marked P Lalena
by N Fields Roosevelt utah
Nice rifle, I bought both from a man whose father had died .They were bought at an auction by his father.
Nit Wit

Nit Wit, this is a Leman that Neill made when he was working at the GRRW in Roosevelt. It has a Green River barrel, and he made the rifle outside of work, using GRRW's Leman parts he bought. He made it for Phil L. GRRW's rifles were very close copies of originals. Shine can compare the rifling of his barrel to yours, it is probably a GRRW barrel. Neill said he did not write that down, but he had some GRRW barrels after that business closed, in fact I bought my Jim Bridger Hawken barrel from him a year ago, a GRRW. He also said he did not number his rifles in 1978, thus no SN.

Thank you Herb your info is top notch. :thumbsup:
On a lighter note Nit wits rifle was built when I was in first grade. :blah:

Here is a page from GRRW's "catalog". If you want to see a lot of images, go to Photobucket. On the opening page there is a "search Photobucket" window. Type in GRRW and see a lot of photos.

I picked up a leman trade rifle in a pawn shop in caribou maine in 2000 for 175.00. It was amongst 5 or 6 cvas and tc hawkens. Some times it pays to see the trees amongst the forest. :grin:

Herb:
Thanks for the info :bow: .I have always had a weakness for the Mt rifles. Tell Neal That I will be hunting deer bear and moose with it here in Maine. When I'm done with it it goes to one of my boys. It's in 100% condition. .58 cal is big medicine. I think it worked out like it should. a guy dies his guns are sold to a non muzzleloading shooter, he dies and shooter buys it! Oh Oh,am I next?? :doh:
Nit Wit

Here is Neill Fields with a double flintlock shotgun he built. I gave him an Ithaca double barreled 12 gauge and he used the frame to build a double .404 Jeffries African rifle with it.

Another of him.

Herb Next time you see Neill shake his hand for me and Nit Wit. we are proud to own them. We will be bear hunting with them next September. :thumbsup:

Neill said that double African rifle was a .450 Number 2 Nitro Express. Thanks for the kudos.

Mate, I have a couple of Neils rifles, a lovely little .36 Leman rifle that I am currently sniping crows with, and a beautiful .40 Lancaster long rifle, that I hunt with. I first met Neil when he came to South Australia to build rifles for the relocated Green River Rifle Company which had been bought by a local businessman. I have stayed in contact with him ever since and visited him in Utah once. He lifted the standard of rifle building here in Australia. A great bloke. I have also sent him a set of old double shotgun barrels, he is making a flintlock shotgun out of.
Lovely rifle you have lucked onto !! Should be a great shooter.

cheers

Gordon
PS Herb, some good photos of himself !

Back