• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Night hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar

36 Cal.
Reaction score
In Texas, it's legal to hunt pigs at night. I usually do this with a recurve or longbow. I'm thinking it'd be fun to do with my GPR. How do you see the sights in the dark? Any ideas? There are some lights where the pigs come in, so you can usually see them. I wonder about this because my compound bow shooting friends have had trouble seeing there sights hunting at night. I never thought about it because I didn't have a sighted weapon til now.

Unless there's been a change in the laws, hunting with any type of firearm is illegal after dark. Better check the latest regs., fines are pretty steep for "headlighting".

Regs checked. You can take pigs in Texas by any means, any time. You cannot take game animals.

Anyone have any helpful hints on the sight question?

Night pig hunting is legal and fun! You ought to give it a shot.
Non-protected nongame animals and fur-bearing animals may be hunted at night with the aid of an artificial light on private property

From the TPWD site

I never tried it but, the fishing dept. at Wally World sells little bitty glow sticks for your bobbers. Maybe you could tape/zip-tie one to the barrel right in front/behind of the blade? Should give enough light to see the sight.??? :hmm:
There are sight lights you can buy for bows. Might be able to adapt one to a rifle...
Then there's always smoothbores and buckshot.
Good luck. :hatsoff:

I've always had good luck putting fingernail polish on my sights so I could see them better..... maybe the same would work if you paint your sights with some glow-in-the-dark fingernail polish. :hmm:

ebay link

My bet is that with halloween winding up, there is a costume store somewhere within easy driving distance to you that will sell the stuff much cheaper than you could get it online.

Back