• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Niple diameter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulussie0

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi there !!

I am the "happy"owner of a replica underhammer.
Now I have got a question: does any one of you know what the max. diameter is of the flashhole in the nipple I have being told that the max diameter should be 0.80 mm.
Why this question? my gun is shooting superbly whit 0.8 bud there is a risk of damaging my lock.
If I put in a new nipple I Cannot get my gun to shoot as good as it did.
Any sugestions ??

What's the risk from, blowback? How heavy a load are you using?

Never much thought about what's ballpark for nipple inside diameter.

What caliber is your underhammer is the first question and then what charge are you using. If it is blowback on the hammer you will almost have to go to a smaller dia nipple or reduce your powder charge. .080 seems a little large for a underhammer as it is directly into the chamber. Flintlocks .080 would be larger than most would use, most use between .060 and .075 and they don't have the power of a cap firing into the charge.
I had the same problem when I first got my underhammer, hammer blowback and them found I was using a hot charge for the caliber. Reduced the charge and solved the problem.
Fox :hatsoff:

Bruce at[url] Underhammers.com[/url] turned me on to a guy name of Ron Bloomquist at BLOOMQUIST PERCUSSION WORKS, LTD. I ordered some replacement nipples from him specifically for my 50 underhammer. He is a most knowledgeable guy, and from him I learned that nipples need to be changes out a lot more often than you would think. Especially with heavy charges. He has a nice website. Check him out and he may be able to provide you with the information you seek.

Last edited by a moderator:
My caliber is .40 de charge is 60 grain ch2
the cap is rws (red label)
With a smaller diameter the accuratesse is compleetly gone :confused:

you may have to lower the powder charge since not as much pressure is leaving via the nipple. try a few grains less powder. a larger nipple hole is not a good thing on an underhammer. powder burns on your arm hurt!

Latest posts

Back