• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple Life

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A "Platinum nipple" resistance to the cone becoming mushroomed is dependent on the steel the body of the nipple is made from and the heat treatment it received.

I have no idea what sort of steel the current supplier(s) use but for the price they want I hope it is the good kind. :grin:

Update to nipple gas blowback problem.

Installed the Treso replacement nipples with the smaller flash holes in Uberti 1851 Navy and put around 48 rounds through the gun today. Cap fragment jams pretty much disappeared. Only had a couple of minor ones that did not tie up the gun.

I'm still using the factory nipples on the two 35 yr old navy arms nma 44's
And absolutely no ignition or blow back problems

I haven't been so lucky.Cap jams are normally caused by oversized flash holes, or weak mainspring, or a combination of the two.
I could have ordered a new mainspring, but know from experience that they vary in strength depending on source, and sometimes within the same source. In other words, I could have ordered another mainspring that may or may not have been any stronger than the one I have. Nipples, however seem to be more of a constant so I decided to make that change first, and it paid off.
I have bought 4 new Uberti percussion revolvers over the last 4 years, and have had to immediately replace the nipples with ones that have the smaller flash holes in all of them, and replace nipples and mainsprings in 2 of them because cap jams.

Back