• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple on Pedersoli Hawken Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregJohn

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Today I was shooting my Pedersoli Hawken .54 rb with a moose milked patch and 85g of 3f behind and a number 11 remington cap on top. After 25 shots on the 26 as the rifle was fired the nipple disentergrated. A small part of the nipple hit me under the glasses on the cheek whilst the rest of the nipple vanished into the ether. After cleaning the rifle I discovered that there was no evidence of the previous nipple and the nipple thread was not damaged, so I simply screwed a new nipple in. Has anyone else how this experience? Any ideas as to what would cause this incident?

Greg
I took my nipple off and replaced it before i ever fired the gun. The nipple cracked taking it off. I dont know why they would use something that crappy.

How is the gun shooting?

First of all my rifle has a walnut stock and the finish in awful. One day I will strip it and start again.
How does it shot? - I have moved the front sight to the right about a 3 millimetres to get the rifle shooting somewhat accurate. I have been playing with the loads starting with 60 grains of 3f and I am now at 85g. Changed the patches from pillow ticking and now have some cotton sheeting that does not get burnt through on discharge. The rbs are from a pedersoli mould as per the website recommended size. Accuracy of the rifle has been a bit of a disappointment considering how expensive it was. I will perserve with it and maybe try some 4f. The groups today were 4 inches at 50 metres but the wind was blowing 10-15 mph from the south at 10 oçlock to the target.
I also have a Greenriver 50 cal Leman trade persussion rifle with single trigger that will shoot the pants of this Pedersoli Hawken.But the Hawken is very easy to clean. I guess if BP shooting was easy it would not hold my interest.

Wow! I have a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken in.54 cal. The maple stock on my rifle is absolutely beautiful. A shooting buddy has the same rifle and his is even better looking.

I am surprised that you had a nipple failure on your Pedersoli. I have found Perersoli's quality is usually as good as it gets (from a commercial manufacturer). I have three Pedersoli rifles and one Pedersoli pistol. Other than the inexplicably wrong (way too tall) front sight on the Frontier models (Cablela's Blue Ridge) I have nothing but high praise for the form, fit-up and function of these four guns.

However, "poop" happens. So what nipple did you buy as a replacement? I may want to order one as a spare.

Thanks,

GregJohn said:
I will perserve with it and maybe try some 4f.

I for one would not want to be there when you do that.

DO NOT put 4F in your gun as the charge!

BIG NO NO!

...What is the actual diameter of your round balls and also what thickness is your patch?

Again, I would not be putting 4F in my gun.

3F, maybe. 2F, more than likely. But no 4F. burns too quick, creates way to much pressure, can cause barrel to burst right before your eyes....LITERALLY!

GregJohn said:
Today I was shooting my Pedersoli Hawken .54 rb with a moose milked patch and 85g of 3f behind and a number 11 remington cap on top. After 25 shots on the 26 as the rifle was fired the nipple disentergrated. A small part of the nipple hit me under the glasses on the cheek whilst the rest of the nipple vanished into the ether. After cleaning the rifle I discovered that there was no evidence of the previous nipple and the nipple thread was not damaged, so I simply screwed a new nipple in. Has anyone else how this experience? Any ideas as to what would cause this incident?

Probably made of cold rolled free machining steel and it simply broke from being made from this brittle material. OR it blew out due to sloppy thread fits. Poor internal breech design can also increase pressure on the nipple making it more likely that a poorly fitting nipple can be blown out.
Incidents such as this are why the better percussion guns always had good shooter protection build into the breech design.

See below for a good breech design. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(x...catId=12&subId=78&styleId=266&partNum=AAF-649

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto on NOT using 4F for a main charge.

try this as a starting point
My walnut Pedersoli Hawken shoots into one ragged hole at 50 yards with the following.
.530 Hornady ball
70-90grains KIK 2F
walmart pillow ticking .018
spit patch or Ballistol diluted 5-1 or 6-1
if you get alittle burn through go to Mink oil

80-100 grains Goex 2F is just slightly less accurate.

PS
I just stripped my stock and am going to put a very diluted LMF cherry stain on and then Tru-Oil it 6-8 coats.

My mistake 2f was what I meant. A can of Swiss 4f was sitting on the bench in front of my face. I use it as a prime in a .54 Pedersoli Mortimer.
As to the replacement nipple it is 1/4-28 thread, for 11 cap, stainless steel. I got it from the Green River Rifle Company Adelaide South Australia. There are very few BP supply outlets in Australia. I have not shot the Hawken since I replaced the nipple. Next weekend I will give it another go.
Many thanks for all the views.

Well, I got that Pedersoli Hawken too. One of the first that came on the market here.
I must admit that I replaced the nipple before I started shooting. I simply wanted a Beryllium nipple.
Not sure now, but I guess mine came from TOW. :surrender:
For what it´s worth, Pedersolis are very popular here. And I haven´t heard so far about such a case like yours.

Also I can´t complain about the finish of mine actually and it shoots... well, let´s say it that way: I have no excuses anymore for bad results. :redface:

Very sad that you´re not that happy with yours. :(

This was shot recently for a mailing competition. 50 meters, no rest. Guess it can be seen what the Pedersoli Hawken is able to. For the rest I am to blame... :wink:
50mDPHawken.jpg

Latest posts

Back