• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple replacement

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westrayer

40 Cal
Reaction score
My new to me Deerstalker has the original nipple. It shows its wear. A bit of flattening. What is a good replacement? How do the stainless-steel nipples hold up?

Stainless holds up fine. I have 1000-1500 rounds on mine and no mushrooming so far. I use slixshot nipples on my revolvers but don't want fire coming out the side of my musket nipple so I don't know about hotshots.

My new to me Deerstalker has the original nipple. It shows its wear. A bit of flattening. What is a good replacement? How do the stainless-steel nipples hold up?
Consider replacing existing with either Tresco or TOW hardened nipples. Even if you work the existing nipple with a file so caps fit, there is a good chance that the orifice in that nipple is worn and enlarged.

Replacement is an easy inexpensive fix. When you order your replacement, buy two and you’ll have a spare.

If you shoot your rifle enough nipples are consumable items. Your rifle was built by Investarm for Lyman. I have a couple Investarm-built guns and the stainless or AMPCO bronze nipples available for them from Track of the Wolf are good to go. It's a good idea to have a spare anyway, in case you drop it while cleaning and it rolls off never to be found. Cheap insurance against making your rifle useless.

I have a couple Investarm-built guns and the stainless or AMPCO bronze nipples available for them from Track of the Wolf are good to go.
Track of the Wolf has not offered the Tresco AMPCO nipples for years, replacing them with their hardened 416 stainless steel ones, which they claim are an improvement over AMPCO. Can’t say for sure yet, but for shooting heavy conicals over heavy charges, the hardened 416 stainless is performing at least as well as the AMPCO in my opinion. Doubt you could go wrong with either for the money.

The on-the-shelf Traditions nipples work great in my Traditions Hawkens. They are a bit on the soft side, but you should get over a hundred PRB shots out of one with moderate loads. Maybe a lot more. [70 grns of t-7 for me] Conical loads will open up the flash hole more quickly, so watch for your lock ending up on half cock after firing. Time for a new nipple. Full cock means you are slamming the snot out of your lock. No bueno.
For TC's that are a bit more finicky about ignition, I like the Knight Red Hots. The vented Hot Shots were terrible in my 2 TC's but others love them, so possibly worth a try. I think the vents release too much pressure in trying to get the flame through the patented breach to the charge. Maybe just a 'me' problem, or my rifles. You will have to pay attention to your flash hole size if you use them because the vents keep you from getting the half cock warning when your flash hole gets dangerously large. If the hole gets much larger than a standard paper clip, it's too large. IME, TC's prefer a larger flash hole than the Traditions.
.030-.034 for the TC's and quite a bit smaller for the Trads. Not sure the exact size for them. I just buy them in a 2 pack and go hunting. They are stainless. Good luck. SW

The stainless-steel nipples hold up very well. It is important to remember that nipples are a consumable item and will need to be replaced eventually. One indication is when accuracy suddenly falls off. Another indication is when it takes two hammer falls to fire a cap. I have had good performance and long life using the Hot shot nipples on my T/C. Using the nipples designed to deliver more heat to the powder charge is a good practice. The hardened Track of the Wolf nipples are also a good replacement.

Latest posts

Back