• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

nipple wear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssettle

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 10 gage shotgun that uses standard nipples,What I'd like to know is how long can I expect these nipples to last. Better yet what brand would give me better wear? It seems like I'm always replacing them.. I use a standard #11 cap but after about 5 shots I start getting misfire( cap doesn't go off) due to the mushrooming of the nipple. After which I can't get the cap to fit down tight on the nipple. Any Ideas ? SSettle

I've never had a nipple "mushroom", nor have I ever seen anyone else's do this. I tend to use the Ampco nipples, made of beryllium, and only change them when a visual inspection shows the flash hole is getting bigger than when it was new. You very often see old original guns with battered nipples due to dry firing, but you should get many many shots before you need to change one. Does the hammer hit square to the top of the nipple?

Sounds to me that your mainspring is way too powerful, and is beating the face of the nipple with each blow. You need to reduce spring tension on that spring, or those springs. If they are V-springs, they usually can be filed down to reduce the tension. If coil springs, then cutting coils will do it. The tension only need to be about 10-15 lbs to ignite the toughest percussion cap. With the gun empty, put the buttt on a bathroom scale, note the weight of the gun on the scale, then slowly cock the hammer back until it clicks in to the Full cock notch. Note the high reading on the scale. Do this 3-5 times and get an average. Subtract the weight of the gun and you know the tension of the spring. Only one arm of the V-spring actually moves when the hammer is cocked, so take a look before removing the spring, and placing it in a vise to begin filing. Always check to see of the spring is rubbing on the lock plate, or anything else is causing the spring to be harder. If you feel the spring is much easier to work when the lock is out of the stock, that is a sure indication that you have wood in the lock mortise rubbing against the spring, that should be removed, so that the spring can work freely, when the lockplate is mounted to the stock.

I have had nipples peen over but you should get way more than 5 shots. Probably more like 3 or 4 hundred before peening. Are you dry firing? As someone else mentioned maybe your main spring is too strong. Check the hammer face to be sure it is nice and flat. Try a stainless steel nipple. They are much stronger than the standard steel nipple. You can get a TC hot shot or a MSM Spit fire from Dixie. I replaced with a stainless steel spit-fire and havent had a misfire or problem since and the caps go on nice and easy.
Frank

Back