• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NJ Ban?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouchy

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Not sure of the disposition of this. The date on the reference I see was June 12th, 2008.
http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/2008/06/12/new-jersey-gun-ban-passes-committee/

New Jersey Gun Ban Passes Committee
Posted by: Sebastian in Gun Rights

By a vote to 5 to 1, the sweeping gun ban has passed out of the New Jersey Assembly judiciary committee. For those of you interested, here’s a list of the guns that are banned under this bill. But oh no, they aren’t out to ban hunting guns. No sir! It’s meant to target criminals, not collectors and sportsmen. You know, like criminals who use the Brown Bess as their firearms of choice, and who use Thompson Center Deer Hunter. What’s even more disgusting is there’s politicians out there who buy this nonsense hook, like, and sinker. And even worse are the ones who know this is manure, but do it anyway, because, well, who gives a manure about the constitution, and sportsmen. Wake up New Jersey, you’re losing your liberty. It’s time to take action.

See the firearms below that will be banned if this is signed into law (Source is Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs):

Traditional Muzzleloaders Banned by A2116

A2116 bans all traditional muzzle loading rifles with synthetic stocks or fiber optic sights ”“ the most common, popular, and safe traditional muzzle loaders currently used for hunting by New Jersey sportsmen. A partial list of popular muzzle loaders that would be banned by A2116 follows:

( long list left off, visit the link to read )

Last edited by a moderator:
grouchy said:

A2116 bans all traditional muzzle loading rifles with synthetic stocks or fiber optic sights,,,,

"Synthetic Stock" Traditional?
"Fiber Optics" Traditional?

Boo Hoo

Carl Davis said:
grouchy said:

A2116 bans all traditional muzzle loading rifles with synthetic stocks or fiber optic sights,,,,[/quote]

Boo Hoo

:bull: :bull: :youcrazy: :youcrazy:
"first they came for the Jews....."

Wattsy said:
Carl Davis said:
grouchy said:

A2116 bans all traditional muzzle loading rifles with synthetic stocks or fiber optic sights,,,,[/quote]

Boo Hoo

Oh, please.

This is typical liberal PC rhetoric. You either want a "TRADITIONAL MUZZLELOADING" season or you don't. You can't have it both ways.

It makes no sense to have a TRADITIONAL season, or forum, or club, or anything, if all you're going to do is open it to ANYTHING and EVERYTHING.

This "stick together" stuff is fine, in the big picture, but you destroy the individual when you take this "group" thing too far.

Here's text from the actual bill.

(3) any weapon capable of firing a projectile of a caliber of 50 caliber or greater [than 60 caliber] or, in the case of an antique firearm, antique handgun, traditional muzzleloader rifle, or black powder muzzleloader having in-line ignition, a center hammer or an under hammer which have been approved for hunting in this State of a caliber greater than 60 caliber, except a shotgun or shotgun ammunition generally recognized as suitable for sporting purposes;

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2008/Bills/A2500/2116_I1.PDF

Carl Davis said:
Wattsy said:
Carl Davis said:
grouchy said:

Boo Hoo

Oh, please.

This is typical liberal PC rhetoric. You either want a "TRADITIONAL MUZZLELOADING" season or you don't. You can't have it both ways.

It makes no sense to have a TRADITIONAL season, or forum, or club, or anything, if all you're going to do is open it to ANYTHING and EVERYTHING.

This "stick together" stuff is fine, in the big picture, but you destroy the individual when you take this "group" thing too far.

:barf: The "individual" can go pound sand in Canada.

Liberal? :shocked2: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: By very definition Liberalisim is a SELFISH I want for me and screw YOU approach to ANYTHING. IE: I want to drive a bycycle so NO BODY should be allowed to drive cars :slap: The spited face just looks STUPID with out its nose!

Watts, you need to get a working dictionary. you just described a selfish person, that's all. :hmm:

So, it appears that they are banning everything .50 caliber and up that is capable of firing a single projectile. However, they seem to have overlooked the fact that shotguns of 20 gage and larger can fire slugs. I didn't see any of them on the list. Idiots!
Jerseymen and Jerseywomen - REVOLT!
When I was a kid, growing up and hunting in NJ in the late 1950's and 1960's, shotguns were the only legal firearms allowed for hunting. For deer hunting, we had to use buckshot. I think it was in the latter 1960's when the law changed to allow shotgun slugs and muzzleloaders.
I left that state in 1979. I thank God that I was able to escape!

Rancocas said:
So, it appears that they are banning everything .50 caliber and up that is capable of firing a single projectile.

I'm not defending the law, but it says they're banning inline, center hammer, and under hammer 60 cal and larger. That would include the Bess and some fowlers, but there are still a lot of guns that would be ok.

"..or, in the case of an antique firearm, antique handgun, traditional muzzleloader rifle, or black powder muzzleloader having in-line ignition, a center hammer or an under hammer...

Since the Brown Bess and fowlers are smoothbores would they not fit into the shotgun category as defined by this law?

Old Salt

You have a point, and it makes sense to me. But knowing the temperament of a lot of law enforcement officers I have someone check that on a legal basis before I’d carry one. I’d at least get an opinion from a game officer, but I’d want something in writing myself.

Diggler said:
Watts, you need to get a working dictionary. you just described a selfish person, that's all. :hmm:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :surrender: STOP...!
I am sure that I dont need english lessons from someone who lives in Northern Mexico :haha:
Living on the West Cost I have heard better Liberals then you explain why their feelings trump logic and intelligence and I aint buying. As for the poor saps that will NOT be hunting with ANYTHING black powder-ish in Jersey they can thank the likes of you and grouchy for kicking them under the bus and I EXPECT that there will be NO WHINING when they outlaw ALL lead down there in Tijuana and you will be unable to shoot your ML either and the centerfire hunters and the bow hunters wil say boo hoo hoo.
:hatsoff:

having dealt with some liberals on a first hand basis, i think it would be foolish to just assume that the muddled, technologically and grammitically incorrect language of this bill is the result of ignorance (even though that 'could' be the case). the left often relies on confused terms and distant connections to boondoggle a concept through under the nose of people who should know better. just remember.....while we're arguing about what is or is not traditional, they are working to keep us arguing so we don't notice what they are doing!!!

fixit said:
having dealt with some liberals on a first hand basis, i think it would be foolish to just assume that the muddled, technologically and grammitically incorrect language of this bill is the result of ignorance (even though that 'could' be the case). the left often relies on confused terms and distant connections to boondoggle a concept through under the nose of people who should know better. just remember.....while we're arguing about what is or is not traditional, they are working to keep us arguing so we don't notice what they are doing!!!
TA_DAH!!! My feelings exactly.....

Nifeman said:
fixit said:
TA_DAH!!! My feelings exactly.....

BINGO!!!! :hatsoff:

From the link, if you read about the collectors arms and reproductions, there are alot of guns that I see in the woods banned.

Man I'm glad I moved down here to Georgia. Grew up in NJ and played their bs games for years. The USMC got me out.

NJ has fallen far. So has the whole country.
I grew up in NJ. Today people don't believe me when I tell about myself as a 14 year old boy in 1962, walking through a surburban neighborhood in Mt. Holly, NJ. with my beagle on a leash and my double barrel 12 guage over my shoulder as I went to and from the surrounding fields for hunting.
No one ever questioned me, or called the police. Never had a problem whatsoever. Later, as a 17 year old with a little Honda motorcycle, I would tie a rope to my shotgun, sling it over my shoulder and ride right through the center of town on my way out to the fields and woods. Still, I was never questioned or stopped by anyone.
Try that today! Gawd, I hate what has become of this country.

Rancocas said:
NJ has fallen far. So has the whole country.
I grew up in NJ. Today people don't believe me when I tell about myself as a 14 year old boy in 1962, walking through a surburban neighborhood in Mt. Holly, NJ. with my beagle on a leash and my double barrel 12 guage over my shoulder as I went to and from the surrounding fields for hunting.
No one ever questioned me, or called the police. Never had a problem whatsoever. Later, as a 17 year old with a little Honda motorcycle, I would tie a rope to my shotgun, sling it over my shoulder and ride right through the center of town on my way out to the fields and woods. Still, I was never questioned or stopped by anyone.
Try that today! Gawd, I hate what has become of this country.

Was just reminising THAT vetry story with my good friend from all the "way back when"....Different State and town but still the same. Yah today we woulda been arrested and put in a reeducatuion camp Im sure.

I grew up in NJ. Today people don't believe me when I tell about myself as a 14 year old boy in 1962, walking through a surburban neighborhood in Mt. Holly, NJ. with my beagle on a leash and my double barrel 12 guage over my shoulder as I went to and from the surrounding fields for hunting

Used to do the same thing in Sussex County. Then they put interstate 80 in and the housing developments started popping up. Filled 'em full of people "escaping the city". Talk about culture shock!! I went from local kid out rabbit/squirrel hunting to juvenile delinquent gangbanger with a gun.

Use to strap the 12 ga. across my handlebars and ride down to the Beverly dump and hunt ducks, pheasant, and rabbits.

There was a time, a long time ago, in NJ when you could actually shoot a gun. I grew up in Burlington, moved to Burlington Twshp to a farm right off Beverly Rd. Use to walk through the front field and go to school. After school, grab the gun and hunt from our property that reached from Beverly Rd. to Rt 130. Cross Beverly Rd and hunt behind the school all the way down to the Delaware River. Murphy's farm was on the other side of 130, way far back was the apple orchard. You might, if you were lucky, see a deer.

Grandfather use to run a trap line from Beverly Rd all the way down to the river, that was how he made money for Christmas presents for the family.

That strip of land, shot my first of many rabbits, pheasants, and ducks. Learned to trap a little, me and my grandpop spent alot of time chasing critters back there.

That all changed. Grandpop has passed, Drew done hunted all the pheasants and managed to stick a big deer back there after I joined the USMC.

Thanks for the memories.

Latest posts

Back