• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NMLRA Western Shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akapennypincher

50 Cal.
Reaction score
For the NMLRA Western Shoot
[url] http://www.nmlra.org/shootsDetails.asp?cat=NMLRA Sponsored&ID=140[/url]

Wonder if they will advertise it or promoted it outside of the membership, or do as they have done in the past. :shake: Only promoted the shoot to members via the Blast.

Kind of sad the shoot has never really taken off, and most of the Traders will never return again.

Like I said wonder if they will advertise it or promoted it outside of the membership, or do as they have done in the past. :shake: Only promoted the shoot to members via the Blast. :shake:

Last edited by a moderator:
CW Grizz said:
Not sure if NMLRA will advertise it outside of their membership, but I have it posted on my Rendezvous listing page[url] http://www.cwgrizz.com/swroo1.html[/url] It is a web page for rendezvous listings and it's free.

First off I like you link.

but as far as the NMLRA Promoting their event outside of their declining membership, I would bet a COLD BEER that as in past years.

The NMLRA will not Advertise, Promote, or Market their Event in Arizona, or the surrounding States.

Then the Event will continue to be a FAILURE, and less People, Shooters, and Traders will come compared to past years.

Sorry to say the NMLRA doesn’t do justice to the word PROMOTION, or the word MARKETING as IMHO their FOCUS is Friendship...

Than they will blame the Western ML Shooters for not coming to their event...
:bull: :bull: :bull: :bull:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pennypincher,

It's pretty obvious you have a great deal of distaste for the NMLRA. Why don't you address them directly?

You may claim to be a great supporter of traditional muzzleloading but all your attacks on the oldest muzzleloading association in the U.S.A. would seem to indicate otherwise.

I would like to see your attacks end or at least turn into constructive criticism aimed at making improvements.

Just my thoughts,

Old Salt

Old Salt said:
Pennypincher,

It's pretty obvious you have a great deal of distaste for the NMLRA. Why don't you address them directly?

You may claim to be a great supporter of traditional muzzleloading but all your attacks on the oldest muzzleloading association in the U.S.A. would seem to indicate otherwise.

I would like to see your attacks end or at least turn into constructive criticism aimed at making improvements.

Just my thoughts,

Old Salt

Opinions are like noses each of us has one. I see zero correlation between Traditional Muzzleloading, and as you call it the "oldest muzzleloading association in the U.S.A.“ Apparently you do not like facts, and imho you don't like truths about oldest muzzleloading association in the U.S.A.

FYI I did send the NMLRA Brass a question about the Western, but never go not reply....

I have been a member of the NMLRA for ten years or so, and live less than 45 minutes from Ben Avery where the Western is held.

I will probably not renew my membership after it runs out this year, and my experiences with them at the Western Shoot for the past few years is the main reason for that decision.

Not only do they not advertise ANYWHERE outside the Blast (not even the local gunstores get notified) but there is absolutely no information made available to the membership here as well. Over the past three years I have made repeated attempts get involved, offer to help out, etc., and have never once received so much as a "No thanks", from anyone in the organization.

Last year, my shooting pard and I had a half hour face to face discussion (not angry or confrontational)with the VP and Treasurer of the NMLRA during which we both told them about the many times we had tried to get info, contact names and numbers, etc. etc.
At that time we were told that they would check it out, and get back with us.
I'm still waiting.

I have come to the final (and reluctant) recognition that no matter what they may tell you, the Leadership at the NMLRA isn't really interested in anything that happens outside of their little clique in Friendship.

I guess, Old Salt, that you could say that I and my shooting pard, who let his membership expire last year also have a great deal of distaste for the NMLRA. My only reply would be, "Yep, we do."

Tkendrick said:
I have been a member of the NMLRA for ten years or so, and live less than 45 minutes from Ben Avery where the Western is held.

I will probably not renew my membership after it runs out this year, and my experiences with them at the Western Shoot for the past few years is the main reason for that decision.

Not only do they not advertise ANYWHERE outside the Blast (not even the local gunstores get notified) but there is absolutely no information made available to the membership here as well. Over the past three years I have made repeated attempts get involved, offer to help out, etc., and have never once received so much as a "No thanks", from anyone in the organization.

Last year, my shooting pard and I had a half hour face to face discussion (not angry or confrontational)with the VP and Treasurer of the NMLRA during which we both told them about the many times we had tried to get info, contact names and numbers, etc. etc.
At that time we were told that they would check it out, and get back with us.
I'm still waiting.

I have come to the final (and reluctant) recognition that no matter what they may tell you, the Leadership at the NMLRA isn't really interested in anything that happens outside of their little clique in Friendship.

I guess, Old Salt, that you could say that I and my shooting pard, who let his membership expire last year also have a great deal of distaste for the NMLRA. My only reply would be, "Yep, we do."

This post tells the reasons many are saying good buy to the NMLRA.... "No thanks" is what everone getsd from the NMLRa that is the reason Bill Ruger quite Sponsoring the Winter/Western. They too Bill's money, and forgot the THANK YOU..... :bull: :bull: :bull: :bull: :bull:

Old Salt as youv read these others even if Im a member this is one of the reason's Im cking out, 40 bucks for a sometimes good mag is to high and who wants to see what got shot with some space gun at 40 yds with some tank killing bullet every few months when back in the 60s and 70s we had guys with flint or perc and PRB's takeing the same thing down at 200 yards plus. The NMLRA has left it's people but the ones that think JUST like them and the old crew can hang around and shut up or just go be hanged. It's just the way it is, it's a fixed game no way anyone could take it back over now even some of the upper brass old timers will tell ya that. Fred :hatsoff:

Another soon to be Ex Member above, the NMLRA brass is sleeping while the membership numbers sink like a rock.

Will they ever wake up, I would be a Cool Drink on a hot Arizona Day NNOOOTT.... :wink:

Tkendrick,

Sorry for the delay, I just saw this post today.

I hope you have better luck with the next ML club you get involved in.

I'll tell you one thing though. For me muzzloading is a hobby. I do it for my own enjoyment. If the NMLRA adds to that, then good. If the local club adds to that, then good. If this forum adds to that, then good.

I don't see much point in spinning my wheels over how things used to be or what could have been. They just aren't.

I'm hoping to have fun now, today and tomorrow.

If you and Penny Pincher and a few others want to remain disgruntled about the state of the NMLRA today, you have every right to do so. IMHO you are only cutting yourselves short.

:thumbsup:

Old Salt

Your last lines how do you figure that?? At least 7 years ago when I sent a letter to the "Prez" and 3 years later I got a written answer back from them, after 2 letters this time they wont even addmitt to getting my letter's, when they do as was posted on another thing here charge 40 bucks for the wife and 17 yr old kid to watch dad shoot at Friendship they lost a total of 9 people from that scam thuis summer BUT they will show it as NEW MEMBERS people that will never have a thing to do with the NMLRA again. WHO IS SLITTING WHO's THROAT?????? FRED :hatsoff: ime for med's before I end up back in ...............

Old Salt said:
If you and Penny Pincher and a few others want to remain disgruntled about the state of the NMLRA today, you have every right to do so. IMHO you are only cutting yourselves short.

Old Salt

The NMLRA is cutting their own throats starting off with a long history of no appreciation of volunteers, or supporters.

Funniest sorry I ever heard about the NMLRA was from a Company Rep., who got a Thank You not from the PHX Organizing committee member for the 2000 WNS Pistol donation.

They said that in all the years that their company had supported the NMLRA with advertising, shoot medals, sponsorship, and raffle & auctions prizes this was the first time that their company had ever got a THANK YOU note from the NMLRA.

I ask who signed the note, they replied a Donna B - - - -, and I quickly report that she ws a PHX volunteer person, and not a Friendship staff person.

Very sad.. Friendship just got the $$ for the auction of said donated pistol.

FW,

As a person involved in a hobby I look for resources that will expand my understanding and appreciation of the hobby, in this particular case the NMLRA and muzzleloading.

If I follow your lead and give up on the NMLRA, I lose out on the many resources available through my membership.

As of today I am unaware any ML organization worldwide that produces a better magazine, provides more regional shoots, provides more national shoots, has more charter clubs, provides more postal activity, and fully supports muzzleloading.

It is pretty easy to criticize an organizations percieved failings, it's a whole other issue when you try to organize and provide similar programs on the same scale.

Unless you can show me a viable alternative to the NMLRA, I guess I'll be content with the many programs that more than fulfill my ML needs.

Old Salt

Happy you put that up I was going to put up hpe you diddn't think I was jumping on you about anything. I can tell you dont care ?? maybe thats wrong ...dont know how thing are being run vs what it was say just 10 years ago, I sure cant find many if any members from back then that think its better now. They dont give a :barf: about the members thats the bottom line with me, great mag sure is I've got them back to the 60s BUT they should let the members decide what way to go not some hand picked board you get to vote for....and what are in-lines doing in the record books? :barf: :barf: :barf: Fred :hatsoff: YOU FIND A WAY TO SAVE THE NMLRA ( back to org charter as it should be (no in-line's and few other really small things)I'll be right beside you, as a good hand full on here.

Old Salt said:
FW,

As a person involved in a hobby I look for resources that will expand my understanding and appreciation of the hobby, in this particular case the NMLRA and muzzleloading.

If I follow your lead and give up on the NMLRA, I lose out on the many resources available through my membership.

As of today I am unaware any ML organization worldwide that produces a better magazine, provides more regional shoots, provides more national shoots, has more charter clubs, provides more postal activity, and fully supports muzzleloading.

It is pretty easy to criticize an organizations percieved failings, it's a whole other issue when you try to organize and provide similar programs on the same scale.

Unless you can show me a viable alternative to the NMLRA, I guess I'll be content with the many programs that more than fulfill my ML needs.

Old Salt

To many who do not live near Friendship, don't go to Freindship, and the only Benefit of NMLRA Membership is a NON NEW STAND QUALITY MAGAZINE I say not worth $40.00/year. The rest of the NMLRA Membership benefit imho are :bull:

This is my opinion, and the opinion of many XNMLRA Member, those who quit the NMLRA for many Reason from Inlines in the Record Book, to other NMLRA. :bull:

This is aimed at no one in particular, and this may have already been answered, but why do people who are not members of an organization care what happens to it? Why don't they put their energy into something they are involved in?

FWIW, I'm not a member of the NMLRA.

I think it's cause some of us was or stil are but about to leave and wish it was run right. ?? Fred :hatsoff:

Claude said:
This is aimed at no one in particular, and this may have already been answered, but why do people who are not members of an organization care what happens to it? Why don't they put their energy into something they are involved in?

Because if the DAHM NMLRA Western was Bigger there would be more TRADER there to buy from. you need not be a Member to buy Powder, or Visit Trader Row.

This is the only time annually in Phoenix to buy any ML Supplies. I am not a SASS Member either, but visit Winter Range annually to SHOP.

akapennypincher said:
Claude said:

Because if the DAHM NMLRA Western was Bigger there would be more TRADER there to buy from. you need not be a Member to buy Powder, or Visit Trader Row.

This is the only time annually in Phoenix to buy any ML Supplies. I am not a SASS Member either, but visit Winter Range annually to SHOP.

Understood. I mistakenly thought the dissatisfaction was with the organization itself and it's policies on traditional muzzleloading.

Back