• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No bear but lotsa pics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm back! It was fun, but no bear!

The main thing encountered was rain, rain, rain!! :shocked2: Spent four days in my hunt area and it rained two days solid and the other two days it rained half the day. :barf:

Some of you may remember that I resolved to take more pictures this year. No dead animals, but here's a few pics and captions.

Stopped to fish on the way up. Pretty little lake but it would not give up a fish.
Stoppedtofish.jpg

Upon arrival at camp found the fire pit had been pulled apart by a scrounging bear.
firepit.jpg

A couple deer encountered during my rambles.
Deerweremoving.jpg

This was a pretty nice buck but it was a 250 yard picture shot. You can probably make out some of his rack.
nicebuck.jpg

Name the animal! :)
canyounameit.jpg

Here's the view from a couple of my bear look-outs.

This valley and the hills around it were loaded with elk. They got into some serious bugling at night. Some within a hundred yards of camp. Tends to keep a guy awake!
stand2.jpg

stand1.jpg

Here's more weather moving in.
moreweather.jpg

there had been a lot of bear activity in the area up until about a week before my arrival. All the poop was old like this. Don't know why they did not stick around. Berries were still abundant.
oldsign.jpg

All of my hunts involve some dutch oven cooking.
dutchovendinner.jpg

And finally, what does this say about the coming winter? :confused:
winterforcast.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed the pics. Despite lack of bears and wet weather it was great to get away for a few days.

Porkie is it. :thumbsup: He thought he was well hidden. Not the smartest animal. Gotta be careful in this area walking any trails in the dark. Easy to step on one. :(

Here's a couple more.

First one is a fox that walked into camp at about half dark. I could see him pretty well but in the pics with flash only the eyes show. :haha: When the flash went off he went loopy and ran back and forth and hopped up and down for about 20 seconds straight.

foxeyes.jpg

A pic of camp.
camp.jpg

And a nice doe that was willing to pose.
Doe.jpg

Very nice pics! Looks like you had a great time. If there are a lot of them in the area (and its legal there) porcupines are very good to eat. Thats a nice buck too. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Those are great pictures :thumbsup: Haven't hunted in years, but those pics are giving me ideas of starting again. Thanks for sharing with us.

That's some nice country Marmotslayer. We're all a heap glad you took lots of pics. It's kinda like being there for me. Don't worry about not gettin' a bear, you'll get one eventually. In the meantime it was a pleasure sharin' camp with ya.

Thanks for all the kind comments from every one.

Not sure if porkies are a game animal in CO. :confused: Never was enthused about skinning one. :shocked2: I was taught as a kid to leave em alone cause if someone is lost in the woods it's one of the few animals that can be killed with a stick. OTOH, the timber companies shot em on sight.

marmotslayer said:
Never was enthused about skinning one. :shocked2: I was taught as a kid to leave em alone cause if someone is lost in the woods it's one of the few animals that can be killed with a stick.

Thats actually why I first shot one. I wanted to know how to skin/clean one before I was in a survival situation. I have only had two of them but they are goooood!

Thats actually why I first shot one. I wanted to know how to skin/clean one before I was in a survival situation. I have only had two of them but they are goooood!

Hoo boy! Now ya got me started. :) Wonder what kinda camp paria I'll be when I cook one up for the rest of the guys? Should fit just fine in a large dutch oven. :haha:

Back