• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No luck this year

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, after hunting almost exclusively with my GPR blackpowder kit I assembled myself, I haven't gotten any this year. I've seen plenty of deer, but none legal/in-range. Overall it was a great season, and I had a lot of fun seeing lots of wildlife. That's what it's all about anyway. Season's over now, but there's always next year!

~Rylan

You hunted with a rifle you made yourself at 15!

Sounds like a great success to me friend :hatsoff:

The deer will come one day.

Can you get some small game with it?

B.

Thanks Pappy and Brit. :grin:

Well Brit, It's a .54 cal rifle, but I guess I can try to bark some squirrels! I've never tried it before, but why not!

~Rylan

it took me some time before i got a deer with my first kit rifle but when i did it made it all worth it. the very first deer i got a shot at ended up in a misfire. that was after hunting in the rain all day and at the last minute of day light i walked face to face with a doe in a old logging road. when i pulled the trigger the cap didn't even pop and the doe just kinda blinked her eyes turned and walked away. that was on the last day of the hunting season. i have relived that moment over and over for many a year thinking this and that. what i wonder the most was what was she thinking after the thud of the hammer drop. no fear or nothing she just turned and walked away.

Rylan - great spirit, your deer will come. I am so glad read of a young person hunting with a traditional muzzleloader, please keep at it.

You are not the only one that did not get lucky this year.

I had a nice doe at fifty yards this morning, i shot at it and hit a tree in front of it, and it just ran off.

I was upset cause i hunted so hard this year and on the last day i did this, I guess every thing happens for a reason and there is always next year.

I've gone squirrel hunting with it the past few days. I've seen a few squirrels, though none in range yet. It's a lot of fun, thanks for the idea! It's great walking through the woods with a flintlock in my hands again, trying to get dinner!

Toccopola, that sounds like a great hunt to me!

Thanks Will, it just feels right to be stalking through the woods with my flintlock.

Back