• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

no regrets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck-ia

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I went early muzzleloader season this year, in october, I hunted the last 2 years late season and did not see many deer at all, but enjoyed hunting in the snow. I went early season this year, I usually regret going early season when late season rolls around. Not this year, I can't even get out of the house right now, let alone drive to a hunting area. Once the weather settles down in a day or 2 I will get the snow shoes out and do a bit of rabbit and squirrel hunting with the .36 or 20 smoothbore. flinch

As I've gotten older and have put more and more hunting seasons behind me, learning more about hunting and having a little more success at it as the seasons have gone by, I've found myself liking the earlier times in the woods more and more...the fall colors are far more beautiful compared to December, temperatures are more moderate, see more game moving about in general, etc.

Plus, I think the electric blanket companies are involved with this global warming stuff...the blanket holds on tighter and tighter each year at 4:30 in the morning...sometimes I can't even get out from under it !

It is getting harder for me to get up early to go out into the cold allso. I do enjoy hunting in the snow, but this year would have just been to much. I think the hardest part would be to get to a hunting area, from there it would have to be on snowshoes. flinch

flinch said:
It is getting harder for me to get up early to go out into the cold allso. I do enjoy hunting in the snow, but this year would have just been to much. I think the hardest part would be to get to a hunting area, from there it would have to be on snowshoes. flinch

Yeah I know what ya mean, I found it real hard to get up in the morning this year. :haha:

flinch said:

Being older has another benefit...older folks usually have some extra vacation days accrued.

I figured out years ago, instead of morning and afternoon trips every Saturday plus holidays from October through January 1st trying to fill tags, with all the expense that goes with all those trips...it was much cheaper to just take 2 full weeks vacation and decicate those days to the main rut timeframe.

Much prettier woods and better weather, a lot less early morning alarms to get up to, and the biggest thing of all...I immediately started seeing and taking more and better bucks as they were up and about cruising for Does in some daylight hours.

IMO, if we can only be in the woods for 5-10 days, make every effort possible to spend those 5-10 days right during the week or two prior to actual breeding...first couple weeks of November here in NC is the time to mind the wind, sit down tight in a little natural ground blind and let them cruise past looking for Does.

flinch said:

I know what you mean. I dont sleep as well as I used to and getting up numerous times during the night is making it harder and harder to get up early and get to hunting areas. So my new strategy is to get up later get there by 9 or 10 o'clock in the morning, pack a lunch and stay until dark. Im seeing just as much game.

roundball said:
As I've gotten older and have put more and more hunting seasons behind me, learning more about hunting and having a little more success at it as the seasons have gone by, I've found myself liking the earlier times in the woods more and more...the fall colors are far more beautiful compared to December, temperatures are more moderate, see more game moving about in general, etc.

Plus, I think the electric blanket companies are involved with this global warming stuff...the blanket holds on tighter and tighter each year at 4:30 in the morning...sometimes I can't even get out from under it !
I'm beginning to feel the same way...You know what they say ..with age comes wisdom.

"I'm beginning to feel the same way...You know what they say ..with age comes wisdom."

Well that's what I have heard.........I'm still waiting :idunno:

Up here in Northwestern PA the best time to be out is the last few hours before dark. Deer hide up close to houses and small protected areas and then come to the bigger parts of the woods toward dark. Just set up an hour or so before dark using the wind to your advantage and wait for em to come. I like the snow but don't like it when it's both cold and windy very much.

One thing I have noticed is that as I get older I am a much better still hunter because I don't get in a big hurry; now it's a couple steps and glass where I used to be way too fast. I catch alot more bedded deer before they see me. The wisdom part I see happening is what most of you knew all along; a roundball is the best way to go.

Back