• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

no rest for the weary

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
My turkey season came to an end on Tuesday, and here it is almost time for squirrel season, again. Early squirrel May 19, only 3 weeks. There never seems to be any letup, I no more than get my guns cleaned up from one season and another is on me. Well, somebody has to do it, and I'm willing to do my share. Or even a little more. :haha:

I'm going to concentrate on two things during this early season, taking squirrels with tow wadding in my J. Brown Carolina and developing a long distance load for them with my Colerain turkey barrel. I will try to combine the two if that will work, a long range squirrel load using tow in the Colerain. I killed a squirrel with that gun last fall at an honest 50 yards, and even then it had too many pellets in it. I'm going to try backing off on the shot, maybe down to 1/2 oz., but the gun shoots so tight I'm not sure even that will work. Has anyone worked up a squirrel load with that barrel?

Spence

We don't have a early season down here, I wish they did, I could limit out just walking down the street. Same thing with the dove, we are overrun with the ringneck dove down here, just may have to break down and buy a good pellet rifle. :haha:

George said:
There never seems to be any letup, I no more than get my guns cleaned up from one season and another is on me.

:v: :grin:

Nice kind of problem to have though...wish we had a spring squirrel season...they open ours when deer season opens...DUH!

Same here really. Squirrel season and dove season come in about 3 weeks before deer archery. I never seem to get enough time in for all the seasons.

We've had an early squirrel season for quite a while, and it seems to have been a good move on the part of our F&G. First trials on some state wildlife management areas in 1994, went statewide in 1999, and they still report "Squirrels are Kentucky’s most stable and abundant small game species."

Spence

Has anyone worked up a squirrel load with that barrel?

=====================================================================

Not yet...but did put rear sights on those barrel due to the tight pattern.

Thanks for reminding me of the early squirrel season. I just got a sweet J. Brown .62 fowler that should be loads of fun in the squirrel woods.

Back