• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

no round balls?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, a journalistic whore.
With that said, I knew if I dug deep enough I'd find an article by him using round ball.
The July/August 1984 issue of Muzzleloader Magazine has it.
Quote by Toby....
"The .440 Hornady swaged round ball had caught the buck perfectly, taking both lungs at an angle and exiting out through the opposite shoulder."
"The deer later tipped the scales at 223 pounds field dressed."

He also mentions that the flintlock was built by Jack Garner.

The guy knows roundballs work but goes with whoever butters his bread the best. :cursing: :shake:

audie said:
Fellers the last article I read by Bridges stated flat out that traditional muzzleloaders should be outlawed. "Underpowered, lousey sights and poor ballistic performance ..." Then he went on to state how "unethical" they were on account of all their (traditional) shortcomings. The man is a whore for the inline manufacurers, scope manufacturers and substitute powder manufacturers..simple as that. But what would you expect? How many outdoor writers today don't accept bribes for good write-ups? I only know of 1. Mike Nesbitt.(Muzzleloader Magazine) Possibly Mike Venturino. Just my 2 cents. Audie..the Oldfart.

That just chaps my hide. If it's "ethical" to kill an animal with a bow and arrow, then it's ethical to kill an animal with a supersonic sphere of lead.

how many buffalo were there on this continent at one time???.
maybe i'm a little too green to make a comment, but i'm gonna.

If he wants traditional muzzleloders banned because of "poor ballistics and lousey sights" he should try to get modern shotguns with bead sights on a smoothbore barrel with foster style slugs banned because those fit that same bill.

This clown and many like him are part of why I push hard for the use of PRB and making a distinction between modern conicals and the original ones, the foot was put in the door when seasons allowed the modern type years ago, imagine what a ML season would be like now with only PRB or traditional type conicals had been allowed,I doubt that those funny plastic /stainless steel &%#-lines would have ever hit the market.

Anyone think about emailing him a link to this thread and asking him for a response?

Good lord no...it would create severe disruption and accomplish nothing.
You can't have logical discussions with people who have an agenda because they lie to protect the position they've dug in on and it becomes like squeezing a balloon...same as trying to have a serious logical discussion with a drunk...its pointless.

I tried directly e-mailing him at one time (maybe three years ago) and we danced around a bit in a series of correspondence. He's slapping round balls as "unethical" because a lot of us made some grumblings about forbidding "unethical" devices and technology in the muzzleloading seasons; assuming the intent was for primative and challenging vs. just one or two more weeks of modern hunting with a slightly different loading method. When you feed your family by writing about deer, need a lot of hero shots to fill a year's worth of shows and articles, and accept gear and checks from sponsors it's much more critical you kill them however possible, which means at longer ranges if you don't have the skills or patience to get close, than when you just hunt for sport or to suppliment the larder.

Face it. Our nation's junk yards will NEVER sponsor a TV or monthly rag hunter who casts his own round balls out of scrap lead. Or even take out an ad in Guns & Ammo. :wink: You gotta buy all the "new, improved, radical, gonzo" gadgets and muzzleloaders that are obsolete in two years so as to support the industry.
:shake:

His response is to poison our well since we ****** in his.

It just seems he is wanting to discredit a sport that he participated in and championed in the past. This is unethical. I will try to email him. Maybe we all should.

The less said about, and to him the better.

As was said, you cannot win a war of words with someone who is being paid to take the other side of the issue.

Even if he agrees with you, he cannot say he does without discrediting his recent statements and harming his employers.

the thing that worries me most is that more and more younger people are 100% convinced by the advertising and articles slamming or ignoring traditional guns and projectiles. case in point, i have a friend of mine who is a massive deer hunter, is out in the woods all the time hunting them not to get the monster buck just to hunt whatever comes along. he litterally loves to hunt deer with whatever weapon is in season. he is an intelligent guy, but has never seen anyone hunt with a traditional muzzleloader, and untill he met me, even shot one or even seen someone shoot one. long story short, he saw one of my .440 RB and was said "you can kill a deer with that?"

there is the ultimate problem created by the bridges and others in the world. i certainly understand they have families to feed and that their job is to make the manufactures look good, some thing with the 5 at 200 that pedersoli does at friendship. or with the hunting shows on TV, "here's joe with his CVA whatever chasing his first IA buck, then magically he gets the deer" so to someone like my friend the CVA sells for about 150$ i think, and it obviously kills deer because joe did it on TV. to top it off, they also carry the fancy looking bullets for them at the store and they sure are colorfull and mean looking. the icing on the cake is according to the hunting show all i have to do is put in these 3 pellets and it's ready to go.
traditional guns arent' mentioned anywhere in the media unless it's on the history channel and then it's all about thier exageratted shortcomings. plus, traditional guns are comparativly expensive and most guys are deer hunters first, shooters second and muzzleloaders about 50th so the cheap inline gets deer and may or may not get cleaned depending on the indiviuals level of indoctrination, the gun gets put away untill next hunting season.

personally i think the only solution that may stem the trend would be for some manucfactures to maybe create a traditional hunting show. many people love the way a traditional gun looks but know nothing but misconceptions or how they work. the bridges's of the world don't help the situation any.
i'll get off my soapbox now.

I used to keep a .55 grain, .223 caliber jacketed bullet in my range box, along with a .30 caliber .50 grain bullet, just to answer that question, " Can you really kill a deer with that?" by asking the same question of these other bullets. Most of the folks who have asked these questions have absolutely NO knowledge of bullets. Years ago, my hair stood up on the back of my neck when I heard some hunters refer to their loaded cartridges as "bullets". They were serious. They had not used the term "Cartridge" before! So, we find lots of people these days that think the whole Cartridge is what goes out the barrel and hits the person or game. DUH!

Ron White may be right: " You can't fix Stupid!" :blah: :idunno: :thumbsup:

I agree with all the others about the round ball. It's been around a long time and has taken a lot of game. The only thing I have used different in a .58 caliber is a mini ball. Otherwise, it's all round ball. All the deer, squirrel and rabbit I have shot would testify that a round ball does a good job, that is if they could talk!

Bill - I have exchanged e-mails with this clown in the past (4, maybe 5 years ago). He is still singin' the same tune. Dealing with him or those of his ilk is like tryin' to teach a pig to sing. All that happens is you get frustrated and you pi$$ off the pig . . .

But the guy has the right to have an opinion whether it is truly right or not.

An opinion is quite a bit different from an outright lie. You may be allowed to lie to folks, but you don't have a right to access to a forum that is privately owned to spread your lies. The Owner has the right to tell folks to get lost, rather than let them come on and lie, without challenging them. Those lies would reflect badly on the owner of the site.

There is a saying that you have the right to speak anything you feel like saying, but God does not give you a right to an audience. :hmm: In "The Marketplace of Ideas", its the value of the ideas that wins you an audience. That is Really what Free Speech is all about.

once again the overlying problem is that younger shooters eat the inaccuracies up... after all, new must be better. :barf:

We older shooter(Not in age but years of shooting) have to educate the younger shooters. That not always is newer better. But it can be hard when you have someone who changes horse in the middle of stream such as he has.

They look at him changing what he said 5, 10 etc. years ago and say hay all this new stuff that is coming along is better here is the proof, so and so has change to the new and is comdiming the old ways. It must be better.

My thoughts - not always.

Back