• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No Squirrels - But Total Peace of Mind Abounds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been burning up some vacation by taking some half-days of vacation and decided to get out for a walk with my Virginia .62 Smooth rifle. The area I was in is heavily hunted, so I knew going in the squirrel situation was probably bleak, but this time of year, the woods are virtually empty, and regardless of game sightings, true peace abounds. I could barely leave as darkness settled in and it was a wonderful afternoon, even though no squirrels were seen.

I thought this gnarly old stump provided a great gun holder:

120914 Squirrel Hunt 1 by mdheaser

Since the late deer muzzleloader season is on (my one tag is already filled...envy you guys with multiple tags in your pockets) I have to wear orange... and the new Capote works great! Extreme Southeastern Minnesota is a labyrinth of steep hills and interconnecting valleys. While heavily hunted, the Whitewater Wildlife Management Unit and surrounding State Forest Lands provide nearly 80,000 acres of public hunting.

120914 Trout Valley Squirrel Hunt 1 by mdheaser

While the pics don't show it, this area has some very thick areas one can hardly walk through, much less shoot in. The deer sign was actually abundant with tracks, fresh beds and droppings, and the remnants of the rut.

120914 Squirrel Hunt 3 by mdheaser

Maybe I'll have better luck next time, but if not, I will still have a good time wandering the beautiful hills of my home area.

I've posted this link before, but it's always worth a view, in my opinion. On days where the game doesn't cooperate, or even if it does and I choose not to shoot, I always think of this video clip from Primal Dreams:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUXbie0tFG4

Hope you all are finding some peace too in this Christmas Season. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post...I feel the same way on most outings, especially having a camera with me, thanks
:thumbsup:

That's why it's called "hunting", rather than "shooting". = MANY times, I've come home "empty-handed" BUT had a GREAT time in the woods anyway.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, satx

Britsmoothy said:
Lovely isn't it. Being in creation.
Cannot beat the natural world around us...I stepped outside early this morning to dump out some apple cores & peels for our backyard Deer and Mother Nature presented me with this:

12/11/14 75% Waning Moon in a beautiful early morning dark blue sky, headed down fast towards 'moonset'.
Original and 3 cropped views for some different looks.

ORIGINAL

CROP 1

CROP 2

CROP 3

Thank you for taking me along your hunt, today.
It is just so nice to be out and about, especially for me beeing a pencil pusher in worklife :grin:

So today at least I could virtually enjoy the afternoon out through your pics.

Silex

That's why it's called "hunting", rather than "shooting". = MANY times, I've come home "empty-handed" BUT had a GREAT time in the woods anyway.

Amen my brothers, may God rest ye all, merry!

Some of the nicest looking country in the union. SE Minnesota, NE Iowa, and a lot of Western Wisconsin!

Spent plenty of time in that neck of the woods pheasant hunting and trout fishing the little cricks (that's Hoosier for creeks). :haha:

Thanks for sharing Spikebuck. :thumbsup:

Spikebuck and Roundball Exellent pictures and a great video and post.I feel the same way.Its all a state of mind.Curt

Although I'm first and foremost a "meat hunter", your pics bring back memories of similar country in Wisconsin.

You're totally "right on" asre the "soothing effect" of hours spent in the woods...not for everyone, but right for those who appreciate being alone w/ silence.....which is rare nowadays. The "sound of silence", although an oxy-moron, can be experienced at certain times of the day.....when most activities are less.....Fred.

Some of my happiest/most memorable days of yore were "woods stalking" with my .32 TN Pore Boy, when I shot not even one time.
On other days, I've "fed about half the neighborhood" on Peter Cottontail.
(Our farm has NO shortage of bunnies.)

yours, satx

Looks like it was a successful hunt even without bringing home the bacon, or squirrel in this case.

I have had the opportunity to be drawn three times on a lottery hunt at land owned by military arsenal. Never shot anything there yet, but three of the best hunting days of my life. Just being in that environment is a successful hunt.

Now -a -days, I mostly hunt on the wooded areas, skirting the fields. I miss the days out in the mountains, and big timber.

Skychief said:
Spent plenty of time in that neck of the woods ...trout fishing the little cricks (that's Hoosier for creeks).

Same pronunciation for those of us from Min-eh-sohta. :grin:

The main valley I was in has a trout crick in it (probably why it's called Trout Valley). Also a free primitive campground with a bubbling spring, though during the gun deer seasons that place is a zoo.

Every year some real whopper bucks come out of the public ground, though. Last year a local guy shot one that was over 200". There's a significant amount of state-owned farm land and the deal with farmers is that they get the land lease for free if they leave 1/3 of the crop standing. No starvation of deer here.

Sounds like a thoughtful, proactive department of natural resources in Minnesota.

I imagine that they don't look far for farmers willing to farm that state owned farmland.

You're fortunate living there Spikebuck.

Back