• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non-Lead projectiles for hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was speaking for myself, "stupid" never went in my post. My line of thinking was that if I was already forgetting a basic step, what would adding more steps do to help the problem?

I was also thinking along the lines of brown bear, putting pressure on that pick by loading the ball would seem to add to the problem.

Just offering up my meager thoughts, much as you were.

Is it or is it not a common practise to put a rod or pick in the vent? Or have I imagined it?

I would never make a pick or vent rod from soft steel. It would be drill rod. A dry ball of lead would bend a soft one!

Ok...how about the dry balled gun being tapped on some timber at the muzzle to try and nudge the ball forward. How about that :rotf:

U.

I don't really know what common practice is, as I am the only person I know who shoots a flintlock, and I don't do it the way you describe. I pick the vent just prior to priming.

I am relatively new to flintlocks (maybe two years), so maybe some time in the future as I grow into it, I'll try it that way. Right now I am happy with where I am and how my gun works. Although I am still working up loads, both shot and roundball.

To be totally honest, other than my own experiences, most of what I know came from this board or Brian Beckum's videos. I try to follow a lot of what he does, and so far its been working for me.

I do apologize if my thoughts on the subject got you riled. Certainly nothing personal, as I enjoy your posts frequently, especially the ones of your hunts.

There is also the ITX roundball that is lead free. I believe they make .45 thru .62 caliber roundballs.

Last I checked ITX balls (couple years ago) they were pretty expensive. If I'm not mistaken they have the same problem in that a conventional ball puller won't screw into them...however I haven't personally tested them.

Some of us have to stay here because of Family concerns, but by god its getting hard!!! the sheer volume of rediculousness is staggering.

Ugh....

Jim Anderson said:
Some of us have to stay here because of Family concerns, but by god its getting hard!!! the sheer volume of rediculousness is staggering.

Ugh....

Colorado is getting to be much the same :(

I would go to Texas if my wife wouldn't kill me the first time summer started in march :grin:

Sean Gadhar said:
I would go to Texas if my wife wouldn't kill me the first time summer started in march

...and ended in late October. Hate to say it, but you do get used to it! :shocked2:

The Texas late spring to early fall has me wanting back out! And there's just not any real mountains! But the hunting is good.

roundball said:
Last I checked ITX balls (couple years ago) they were pretty expensive. If I'm not mistaken they have the same problem in that a conventional ball puller won't screw into them...however I haven't personally tested them.

While experimenting with ITX balls I tried a thicker patch and got the ball stuck at the muzzle. Couldn't push it down and couldn't blow it out. So I drilled and threaded a hole in it. GW

silly goose said:
I don't really know what common practice is, as I am the only person I know who shoots a flintlock, and I don't do it the way you describe. I pick the vent just prior to priming.

I am relatively new to flintlocks (maybe two years), so maybe some time in the future as I grow into it, I'll try it that way. Right now I am happy with where I am and how my gun works. Although I am still working up loads, both shot and roundball.

To be totally honest, other than my own experiences, most of what I know came from this board or Brian Beckum's videos. I try to follow a lot of what he does, and so far its been working for me.

I do apologize if my thoughts on the subject got you riled. Certainly nothing personal, as I enjoy your posts frequently, especially the ones of your hunts.

No problem sir. Sometimes I can get all my panties twisted up!
All the best .

B.

I haven't looked up the law or anything, but doesn't hunting ammunition have to be of an "expandable" type?? Or the word could be "frangible"?? (Frustrating for sure!!!) :cursing:

Their site claims they are ductile, and states "ITX is non-toxic and has similar characteristics to lead," and this "This extraordinary non-toxic shot formula combines pellet malleability with the advantages of enhanced density..."

roundball said:
I don't think ITX expands, does it?

No experience with the RB's, but their #4 birdshot will "expand" a little. At least you can crush it with a pair of pliers if you have a good grip and squeeze like crazy. Puts linotype to shame. Kinda doubt it with ball.

BrownBear said:
roundball said:

No experience with the RB's, but their #4 birdshot will "expand" a little. At least you can crush it with a pair of pliers if you have a good grip and squeeze like crazy. Puts linotype to shame. Kinda doubt it with ball.

That's my understanding...animal tissue wouldn't even phase it

roundball said:

At $1 a ball I have not personally shot it, but Rodwha posted what I was looking at. Another site selling it claims hardness similar to Bismuth.

But that said, if you were to use it you have backup claiming it can expand...I guess. I think the key is expand or not, it would kill effectively and could very well meet the standards in a state that requires something that can expand.

Just an option for those that may be in that situation to explore even though the cost would make one :barf: I laughed at the one site selling them for claiming it was "economical" :rotf:

roundball said:

No. Not for hunting purposes. I watched Buripity shoot an ITX ball from his .54 into a dirt backstop. He recovered it and shot it two more times. All 3 shots hit the 25yd target in one ragged hole.

GW

3 shots from the same ball in the same hole. I call that economical. Time consuming, but economical. And no, I wont be trying that.

Back