• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Non-toxic" Shot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been using Bismuth in my Pedersoli 12 ga for waterfowl hunting for waterfowl hunting for a number of years with just OK results. Now that a ban on lead for all hunting is coming down the road (I'm in California) I think I need something better to replace the lead I use for turkey hunting. Has anyone worked up loads with the hard shot alternatives, an if so, can you share?

Try ITX like the others said.I use it for ducks and it knocks them down dead.

Ray Johnson said:
Try ITX like the others said. I use it for ducks and it knocks them down dead.
Do you shoot it bare bore or with a protective cup like you would for steel shot?

I get it from Ballistic Products.I don't use a shot cup.I've been using #4's but may try 6's this upcoming season.I was using 90gr Pyrodex and 1 1/4oz of shot.I used a hard nitro card over powder and thin os card on the shot.I was killing ducks and haven't even patterned the gun.I'm getting serious about getting the patterns right and am trying to find a good combo.I have a Pedersoli 12ga with removable chokes.I've been working on loads with Triple7 and Goex black powder.Since the 4's worked so well,I'm thinking that 6's might be better because I would have more shot in the air.All
The ducks I shot fell dead.Very few cripples.It's expensive at 153.00 for 7lbs but it's the best thing out there for ML shotguns.It's supposed to be soft,like lead,and each pellet has a raised sphere on it to aid in penetration and killing power.It's all I will use for ducks.

Ray Johnson said:
I get it from Ballistic Products.I don't use a shot cup.I've been using #4's but may try 6's this upcoming season.I was using 90gr Pyrodex and 1 1/4oz of shot.I used a hard nitro card over powder and thin os card on the shot.I was killing ducks and haven't even patterned the gun.I'm getting serious about getting the patterns right and am trying to find a good combo.I have a Pedersoli 12ga with removable chokes.I've been working on loads with Triple7 and Goex black powder.Since the 4's worked so well,I'm thinking that 6's might be better because I would have more shot in the air.All
The ducks I shot fell dead.Very few cripples.It's expensive at 153.00 for 7lbs but it's the best thing out there for ML shotguns.It's supposed to be soft,like lead,and each pellet has a raised sphere on it to aid in penetration and killing power.It's all I will use for ducks.

If #4s are already getting it done, does ITX come in #5's ?
Good to know from an actual user that using ITX without a cup does not score the bore walls of a ML...thanks.

Back