• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nontoxic roundballs.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shooting an inline has soured me on being ripped off for bullets.

I'll switch to hunting with a bow. At least you can use the arrow more than once.

With my crummy eyesight. I can shoot a bow about the same distance as a ML anyway. :idunno:

If you're like me, drawing a hunting weight bow isn't as easy as it once was (tendonitus). Musket arrows are another traditional non-lead alternative and probably have range similar to a longbow. Legalities would again be the problem.

I've fired arrows out of shotguns before, so it's a viable option out of a muzzleloader. They are quite accurate and do some considerable damage. I still like lead round ball though.

If we weren't allowed to have lead round balls anymore, I'd be forced to go with all copper conicals/sabots.

Yep, losing arrows gets expensive... :shake:

I'm wondering if ours is just too small a market to matter in the non lead projectile scheme of things... :hmm:

I haven't lost a single arrow since I started to shoot 6-12 hours a week in August.

Come on out to our trad bow only shoot the first week in June. 40 3D target woods walk and them woods are thick...

I would if it weren't halfway around the country.

Has anyone even done a study on the ecological effects of lead round balls after the kill? It has been established though that birds of prey eat pellets and fragments of bullets from game birds and gut piles.

he didnt lose the arrows, they broke when they hit lava rock. Its tough to hunt that area as its butted up against a volcano.

Norinco said:
I would if it weren't halfway around the country.

Has anyone even done a study on the ecological effects of lead round balls after the kill?

"It has been established though that birds of prey eat pellets and fragments of bullets from game birds and gut piles."
Actually, that is the same junk science used to ban lead in the condor zones which now under scrutiny, turns out to have been falsified.

Its real easy to call things junk science if you bury your head in the sand and ignore the facts. There have been no studies looking at the effect of round balls after the shot but you are correct about bird shot and rifle bullets. The closest thing to round balls was the Minnesota dnr shot sheep with a 12 gauge slug and found considerably less fragmentation than a high powered rifle. Anybody that cares to think about it will realize lead balls will fragment even less to not at all. As far as junk science, a study in california linked lead from rifle bullets to that found in condors via isotopes. What more do you need? :idunno:
Look at "lead exposure among a reintroduced population of ca condors..."
http://www.peregrinefund.org/lead_conference/2008PbConf_Proceedings.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Kentuckywindage said:
he didnt lose the arrows, they broke when they hit lava rock. Its tough to hunt that area as its butted up against a volcano.

Here's an insight you'll enjoy.

All my life I've spent a lot of time in lava rock country, and learned something about the guys who once hunted there with stone points.

Pick any nice comfortable spot on an elevated outcropping, the perfect place to sit and watch for game and picture a guy with stone pointed arrows sitting there watching for game. Now do a little searching.

You'll find everything from scatterings to piles of arrowhead bases, the points broken off anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 of the way back.

Now picture the guy keeping his hands busy while watching for game, replacing all the arrow points he already broke that day! Do you think the deer could hear him cussing? :rotf:

I have never used belted balls. I suspect that, with a belt they are not intended to be patched and that is why yours are so tight. Try just shoving one down the barrel so it lands cut rifling grooves into it.

Rifleman1776 said:
I have never used belted balls. I suspect that, with a belt they are not intended to be patched and that is why yours are so tight.
Try just shoving one down the barrel so it lands cut rifling grooves into it.
Here's an ideas...how about YOU run 100 naked ITX balls through your rifle and report back to us
:grin:

No...ITX balls are intended to be used with patches...they're actually sold that way with the patches packaged right with them...

Rifleman1776 said:
I have never used belted balls. I suspect that, with a belt they are not intended to be patched and that is why yours are so tight. Try just shoving one down the barrel so it lands cut rifling grooves into it.
At a dollar a piece plus shipping I won't be "trying" them at all. :haha:

Latest posts

Back