• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nooooooooo penetration.....please help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try using pine wood for a penetration test either a 2x6 or bigger, 12" long. Then choose a distance that you would expect or want your given load to be able to take your game.
1 inch Pine board penetration tests were used by the U.S. govt. for may years as a standard, so there's some weight to this test.
Last year I did extensive tests with various sizes of shot in lead, steel and tungsten, in modern 12ga & 10ga shells. What an education that was. Note, when performing these tests make sure the wood is from the same plank so that its a fair test for all loads being tested.
Things that I learned from these tests were that steel patterns the tightest but with the least amount of penetration. Extra hard magnum grade lead shot was the best all around performer. Tungsten/heavy shot was top in field performance, but price and types of barrels it was safe be used in I felt was a negative score.

Back