• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

North Star West Trade Gun With Shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pronghorn

32 Cal.
Reaction score
A while back I experimented using shot in my North Star West Trade Gun. Our local muzzleloader shop recommended Mike's Quality Shotgun Wads kit to include over powder cards, cushion, and over shot cards. The pattern with #8 shot was quite broad indeed.

I'm ready to try again, and would like some advise. My barrel length is 36" and caliber is 62. Ultimately I would like to pursue rabbits this winter and spring turkey. Recommended shot sizes welcome as well.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

I believe most people use either #6's or 5" for rabbits, you having a 36" barrel will probably leave you with a 30 yard or less range.

I find that a paper shot cartridge made from thee thickness of news paper rolled around a wooden dowel, tied with kite string , filled with shot , twisted and folded over and tied shut. helps with the patterns and simplifies loading. For hunting I use a wax paper powder cartridge, opened and ran down the barrel, followed by two 1/4 inch leather wads , then the shot cartridge folded end out. For rabbits I like #6 shot. :hmm:

Mine has same set-up,,,I use #5 for squirrel,#4 for turkey, rabbit? whatever I am loaded with at the time,,,,keep your range 20-30 max,and everything should be okie dokie :wink:

In my 20 ga smoothbore for those twickey wabbits I use no.6 shot with tow over 60gr powder with equal amount of shot with tow over that. Has worked for many years.

I've been using 60gr 3f, overpowder card, cushion wad lubed lightly with crisco, 80 gr measure of #5 and over shot card.

So far this has done pretty good at 20-25 yards out of a 42" 20 gauge barrel an usually puts at least 3-5 pellets through a beer can at 30 yards.

I also have a North Star West .62 with a 36" barrel. My best shot load is 65 grains of 3f, a 1/4" lubed felt wad, a 90 grain measure of #5 shot and an a thin card.

Send your barrel to Danny Caywood for jug choking. 'Need to send him one of my barrels as well. Don't have personal experience with him for this kind of work yet, but I have reason to believe he will do an excellent job for you. His turn around time should be pretty short.

You didn't say what your powder charge is. Try reducing that a bit. And, #8 is too light for game other than doves. I like #7 1/2 as an all around size but realize I am pretty alone in that opinion. Do try other sizes (expensive :shocked2: ). The Mike's wads are good, that was good advice. Any choking should come only after much use and testing. Cylinder bore has probably brought down more game over the centuries than any other with smoothbores.

larryp said:
I also have a North Star West .62 with a 36" barrel. My best shot load is 65 grains of 3f, a 1/4" lubed felt wad, a 90 grain measure of #5 shot and an a thin card.

I suggest this or similar. Notice no fiber wad. I like #6 shot 'cause you get more of them in the pattern.

Try using 2 ox-yoke wonder wads over powder and one over shot.Equal amount of shot and powder.Has worked for me for small game in shotguns and muskets.

Back