• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Northwest Trade Gun Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keb

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I am starting a NW Trade Gun build. I've never made one of these before.
It is cherry cut near Negro Mt. in southeastern Pa. back in 2009. Chamber's lock, .62cal. x 36" tapered round barrel from the now defunct Detroit Barrel Co. The barrel is now inlet & pinned, lock is inlet & the stock has it's basic shape. Pipes are made from sheet brass (by Salvo). The butt plate is made & nailed on with copper nails. It has 1 brass nail by mistake. My eyes ain't as good as they once were. :/
CherryTG004.jpg

CherryTG003.jpg

CherryTG001.jpg

CherryTG002.jpg

Looking good Keb, She's going to be a sweetheart. Copper nails are a nice twist over iron, and will be a subtle touch.

Bill

Your stock work is great, you obviously have some skill and a good eye. I don't know if you posted looking for advice or not, here's some friendly advice for free and that's probably all it is worth

Copper nails aside I wish to implore you to use a different trigger than the one shown. It is not appropriate for a Northwest gun. I also notice that the barrel tang looks like it is still proud, like maybe the barrel needs to go down a bit.

Have fun, enjoy the build.

laff, Thanks for the comment. The barrel is down but the tang is still not worked down yet prolly about .060" to go. I wanted to wait til I drill the mounting hole from the bottom to work it down. I know it's not what they used on these & I have other triggers. I may just hammer one out to resemble ones used in NW guns.

Looks good. How in the hell did you drive copper nails? I use copper for rivets as it's so soft... I can't imagine using it as a nail. You're magic woo woo stick must have awesome powers.... :haha:

Nailed the copper nails by pre-drilling holes about .015 smaller than the nail. I did drill one shallow and couldn't pull it back out so I cut it short & peened it to make a new head. Worked out good.

I did a little more today. Made & mounted a new trigger. Drilled & mounted trigger guard. Tapped tang for screw & drilled & mounted lock & side plate. It's coming along pretty good. I only have a couple pipes to inlet & pin.

I can't remember if the trigger guards & side plates were left proud on these guns. Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

CherryTG010.jpg

CherryTG009.jpg

CherryTG008.jpg

CherryTG007.jpg

CherryTG006.jpg

CherryTG005.jpg

Great job Keb, I am following with great interest, I will attempt a trade gun next for myself. Please keep posting to the end---thanks Leebone

You're doing well, Keb. I can't wait to see the finished product and see how it shoots! Thanks for sharing.

Got some more done today. All I see left to do is drill vent, polish the lock & rub lotsa oil in it. This cherry is very thirsty. I may put some markings on it to resemble the marks on them. I'm still no photographer.

CherryTG011.jpg

CherryTG012.jpg

CherryTG013.jpg

CherryTG014.jpg

CherryTG015.jpg

:shocked2: How long you been working on this? That is AMAZING progress! What stain is that, I like it :thumbsup:

I had the barrel & lock inlet for some time. Gun was on the back burner. I started the NW gun build Tuesday of this week. So I got 4 long days in it.
The stain is walnut & Solar Lux. Don't ask me. I found it in Salvo's shop.

It's pretty much done. I browned all the iron parts, polished the lock, drilled touch hole & fire blued all the screws. I have some old minwax finishing oil (truoil type) that is drying now. I'll prolly only do 3-4 coats steel wooling between coats. Pictures later.

You did a great job Keb and I look forward to seeing pictures of your finished trade gun. I've had one of these on my list of things to build for a few years now. I picked up an original serpent side plate that was found at a construction site near where I live. I someday plan to put it back on a worthy NW gun.
P1000789.jpg

You did a wonderful job. If it is still two RED for you in a week give it to charity, and start again. LOL :v

Latest posts

Back