• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Not sure what this barrel/tang is?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this long arm labelled Kentucky from a small gun shop that caters to mostly unmentionables. I started to clean the bore and noticed something I haven't seen before: a hole on one side that leads to the nipple area. I also cleaned up the barrel and finally found a date stamp of AC which means it was made in 1977 and imported from Italy
date stamp.jpg
FIE pix.jpg
hammer and nipple from top.jpg
hammer and nipple.jpg
kentucky bore.jpg
by F.I.E.. Am I wrong to believe that someone changed this from a flintlock to percussion? Any ideas?

Here's the rifle . Got it for 279. It can use 10 or 11 caps. Could the nipple have been changed from a larger cap?

Attachments

• IMG_20221012_155441814_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221012_155441814_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221012_155434951.jpg
    IMG_20221012_155434951.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
If it was swapped over from flint at one time, the person doing the work would have had to cut the breech end of the barrel to remove the original touch hole, then re-thread for the pattened breech you currently have, then swap out the whole lock as you can see it was never built for a flint, then most likely re-drill all the barrel pins as well as the underlugs to fit the new barrel length and lastly re-cut and re-shape the nose of the stock, followed by re-fitting the nose cap.
It was never a flint. You are seeing exactly what ADK Bigfoot described.
Walk

FIE was an importer. That rifle was born a percussion job and hasnt had an operation. Nice piece for the money!

Back