• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

nother horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soggy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Finished this one up last night. It measures 12-1/2" along the outside curve, butt plug is 2-3/8" diameter maple, stained with Min-Wax red mahogany stain. I got the "antique" look using a mix of onion skins and apple cider vinager.
Soggy
littlebitof.jpg
[/img]

Soggy:

You sure do nice work. Did you make the spout plug or is it a tuning knob from a stringed instrument??
How does the verse finish out? Can't quite make it out.

snagg

snagg said:
Soggy:

You sure do nice work. Did you make the spout plug or is it a tuning knob from a stringed instrument??
How does the verse finish out? Can't quite make it out.

snagg
:hmm: Thanks Snagg; the spout plug is just a piece of pine that I whittled out, then used the same (mahogany) stain as on the butt plug.
The verse is " A little bit of powder and a little bit of lead Shoots far and kills dead"
Wish I could find a source of old verses, sayings etc.Soggy

:thumbsup: Thanks Griz; I've asked some questions from those that are better than I , and I'm trying :winking:
Soggy

Soggy,

Nice looking horn. Horning is adictive just like muzzleloading. Just keep at it.

Ron Vail has a small book about old sayings on powder horns. Ron has been a friend for years, but I must admit that I have never read his book. The book doesn't cost much, $15 plus shipping, so you can't loose much.
[url] http://www.ronvailpowderhorns.com/thefirstbook.html[/url]

Randy Hedden

Last edited by a moderator:
:hatsoff: Thanks Randy; I checked out that web site. Maybe Santa will find it in (Her) heart to put a copy of Mr. Vails book under the tree this Christmas
Soggy

Soggy, that's a great looking horn. With the colors it has, it looks nicely aged too. :)

Back