• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Novelty Shoot Target Acquisition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Rosenthal

70 Cal.
Reaction score
My Son and I are going to a novelty shoot this Sunday. Target distances will range from 15-20 yds. to maybe 75-100 yds. This is a PRB shoot only. Apples, other fruits, charcoal, you name it will be there.

My question is should we just compensate with Kentucky windage & elevation, or should we start using different strength charges of BP? Usually use 70 gr of 3F for the .50 cal. trade rifle and it shoots the X out of a target at 25 yds. dead-on.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts in this matter.

Dave

:hmm: This is just my opinion; but I'd stay with what I know and was comfortable with.
Soggy

Accuracy is the name of the game. Stay with what you know. If you have not previously worked out the powder charges for different ranges, then stay with the load you know, and simply hold over or under to hit the targets. If you have not shot at long range, try to do that before the match. At least you will know where your balls will impact at those longer ranges.

Ask an old timer at the shoot. They will gladly share the tips and tricks on each target with you.

If your dead on at 25 yds with that load you won't be but maybe 1/2 inch low at 50, not enough to worry much. But once you get out to the 75 yd you will start dropping a bit more say maybe an inch or so but at 100 you will notice a bigger change for sure.

Like Paul said if you haven't worked up a load for the 100yd then do what you can to judge the elevation. If you know what distances before you going to load then it will be a snap you can prepare for that but if not then you will have to hold over most likely at the greater distances if you use your 25yd load.

If you get the chance before you go to the shoot go to the range and find out exactly how low you will be at 100 yds with your 25grn load!!!

Good luck and let us know how you and your son do. :thumbsup:

rabbit03

Woodswalks are a lot like 3D archery, you need to know the distance your shooting at. Spend a couple of seconds and look hard! Also vertical targets ie: string, ball splitters, pipe and such only call for you not to drift left or right! Horizontal targets ie: cards on edge on a vertical board reguire you not to drift up or down!A .50cal with 70gr. of fff should get you approx. 1in. low at 50yds. and approx. 8in. low at 100yds. p.s. there are many variables in b.p. shooting

Stick with the load you know. Out to 50 yards any change will be lost in the wobble. I am assuming you have a 1:48 twist on the trade rifle. Messing with the load can take pin point accuracy to a spray pretty fast. Take the time later to find the second sweet spot, with a higher charge, if you need a longer range load.

Thanks to everybody for getting back to me quickly! Wish I could buy everyone a drink at the Inn after shooting next to YOU GUYS on Sunday :) .

The general concencus is to stick with what we know and make adjustments from there. This makes the most sense to us anyway since the ranges may differ. We've already been to novelty shoots at 20-25 yds. and Andy and I have cut playing cards in half at 20 yds. (with the Maxi's I write about, no less). I was a little concerned with something up real close, say at only 10 yds, as well as a long shot out at 100 yds. or more.

In our regular monthly BP league competition, Andy and I use the 370 gr. T/C Maxi with 70 gr. Goex 3F. The first series is paper targets at 50 yds. offhand with 5 shots. This load puts the Maxi's in the center of the black, if we do our part. Then it's out to 100 yds. with ten shots for score, after sighters. We usually hold the POA at the top of the bullseye at the 12 o'clock position and the Maxi's fall into the black if it's not too windy and we do our part. So I guess we're already doing what you folks say to do...DON'T change the load, just the hold!

Since we haven't shot that much PRB's, and the 25 yd. POA=POI, We'll take your advice and just hold over / under depending upon the range and listen to a couple of the "Old Timers" tips as well.

Since today is a wash-out here in NJ, and I have to work all day tomorrow, we won't get a chance to work-up a different charge based upon the various ranges. That project sounds like another good Father & Son day at the range to me :winking: .

Thanks again to all of you and I'll let you know how we make out at the novelty shoot. Any other thoughts / tricks of the trade appreciated.

All the best,

Dave

Some hints on shooting primitive targets. If you are shooting at a target 10 or 15 feet from the muzzle, something like a bead or a matchstick. You will need to bury the target in the front sight, otherwise you will miss by the height of the front sight and the thickness of the barrel.

I have found with my .54 that at 25 yards it likes 55 grains or 75 grains of 3F equally well. Both charges put the ball in the same place at 25 yards. At 50 yards and above, I shoot 75 grains of 3F.

Watch the older shooters on a woods walk. Notice where they stand. When the rules are "touch your foot to the stake" that can mean the right toe or the left heel or any of the other combinations. Sometimes you can only see the target if you are standing with the left foot touching the stake.

Have fun. Primitive shooting is the best.

Many Klatch

What I did was add a little more powder for long shots. 10grs will raise your point of impack. The shoots I when to never shot over 75yrds. The old timers did this, you can get by doing this with a RB. There is a good article on The Kentucky Rifle page about this,good reading. Dilly

Back