• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NY ML season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The season started very warm, so I only was going out for the first couple hrs in the morning. Thursday temperatures dropped nicely, and this fellow trotted up to me ( one of the few times I could hear a deer well before seeing him, on the crisp dry leaves. Then, wouldnt ya know it...my cap popped...but no boom! He didnt pay it no attention, so I was able to recap and the 2nd time was a banger. Only a 3 pointer (gene pool for antlers in that area are poor) but plenty of size to him. I used my .54 GPR, with my standard 80 gr. patched ball.

1729971877451.jpeg

Good for your success.

I purchased an older. 54 GPR about 3 years ago. Settled on the 80 grain load of FFFg under a PRB, too. My first opportunity resulted in an initial hammer fall with no pop/boom. The doe was alerted but stood for a second try. It went Boom, but I clean missed. Changed out the nipple and haven't had that happened again. Your outing was much more productive. Thanks for sharing.

I am pretty sure I had a touch of moisture left in the breech/nipple area....only thing I can think of. I scrubbed it out after a couple shots earliier in the week, only thing I can think of....only time I can recall an actual no fire with a primer ignition.

Me too! Now I relax for most of the rest of the season. I always take the week after thanksgiving off with the likelihood of snow. I still have a regular season buck tag and doe tag if I choose to take the opportunity.
Well that’s great! We are only allowed one buck and one doe with firearms in my County.
We do go to anther county to hunt with our smoke poles but it’s more for the joy of being out than actually bringing in more meat!

Back