• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

octagon barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can, but most accounts I have read say that it won't make anything that could be considered a "pattern". (now, a straight rifled barrel is something else entirely...)

One of the guys I shoot with makes up paper cartridges of shot and shoots them out of his rifle. He has won a couple of clay bird shoots doing this, so I guess it must sort of work. The way he makes them up, the cartridge is a little loose in the bore and doesn't catch the rifling.

Have a friend who would use his .50 cal TC Hawken for clay bird events. He usually finished in the top 3 using a gun that "wouldn't pattern or work" with shot. But he was (is) a very good shot with anything that shoots a projectile. He's not like me . . . :surrender:

You can do it and no harm to your rifle, twist some up in paper and put a wad under it, I tryed it after my dad told me a WW 2 story about hunting ducks with a " Boy's (wrong spelling) anti tank gun) with a 45 long barrel rife and it did spin the spread out BUT you need how many to hit to get a clay or bird to "break". Fred :hatsoff:

ht,
I have learned that testing often does not give the results that "everyone" says they will. Or we may call the popular wisdom. If you determine that a test will not 1. pose harm to you 2. pose harm to anyone else 3. pose harm to your firearm
Give it a test!
Sirjohn

use printer paper cut about two inchs long, wrap it around a7/16" dowl stock. It should be short, by 1/8" inch of two full wraps, this important.gule the seam, Fold one end like coin tube, paper type. fill with shot, fold other end shut, do not glue.Use over powder card,feltwad for cushion,over shot wad. If ya did it right you will find the paper tube split down the one thickness seam and opened flat. If the paper is to thick you will a bore size hole in your target.I have broken clay birds out to 15-20 yards with these load the rifleing doesnt spin this as bad as lose shot. Only real problem is the sights gat in the way.

Back