• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Octagon to round tapered rifle barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runner

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there a short barreled gun out there that used a rifled octagon to tapered round barrel? I have the barrel sitting not being used.

No one knows of an original style rifle that used a short Octagon to round tapered rifle barrel? I was hoping that there would be a a historic gun that I could build a rough copy of. The barrel is caplock, but could be converted.

How short is it, under 36" :: I can't think of a octagon to round that would be rifled. Maybe military ::
Lehigh..

There is a rifle illustrated by Joe Kindig Jr.,"Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Age" No.94 by Nicholas Beyer with an octagon and round rifled barrel but the barrel is 48" long.

No one knows of an original style rifle that used a short Octagon to round tapered rifle barrel? I was hoping that there would be a a historic gun that I could build a rough copy of. The barrel is caplock, but could be converted.

Not for sure how short, is short? Rifles like such were a rather common English trait. Mortimer and others made half stock sporting flint rifles with oct. to rd. tapered barrels.

Pedersoli makes a replica Mortimer on those lines.

I can't get to it to check actual length right now with out waking my wife. It is 26 or 27 inches I think. I was just looking at some of the guns on the Pedersoli website. Is there a known Jaeger that had an octagon to round barrel? That pretty much looked like about the only rifle on their website with the shorter barrels.

Does it matter? make a gun out of it. Make it uniqly yours so that it stands out from the crowd. :m2c:

Here's a link to some Octagon-to-Round barrels at TOTW.

Colerain octagon-to-round

They are longer than yours and were used on early 1800's military flintlocks built at Harper's Ferry.

I just ordered a custom octagon-to round from Ed Rayl for the underhammer I'm having built. (see Jimbo's Underhammer)

Jimbo

Thanks for the help guys! Still not sure which way to go yet, but at least the two sides of the question are filling out!

Back