• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

off hand shooting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckywindage

62 Cal.
Reaction score
What kind of groups are you guys getting at 50-75-100 yards off hand? I just shot 3 shots ( first missed due to wind movement / 20mph gusts) After that shot i squatted ( outdoor toilet style) and my next 2 shots were great. Or so i think.

This was with my new CVA Hawken .54cal at 75 yards off hand.
54hawken-75yrd-offhand-blankedout.jpg

Well, I'd say we both need some work. :wink: This year I'll be practicing offhand to tighten up my groups. Last time I tried, I was getting 6" groups squatting at 50 yards with my .50 caliber. I was able to shoot 4"-5" groups standing with my .36 last year at 50 yards and I was enthused with that. We'll see what I can do this year. Keep on practicing and thanks for the pics!

This is one of my 50 yd offhand targets that was shot at Friendship during competition. It's the Max Vickery qualifier, came in second.

IMG_0552.jpg

Longball 58

This is a fifty yard three-shot offhand group . . . but I only wish I could say it is typical. The center square is 1".

DIAMONDTARG.jpg

Three shots at 50 yard offhand on 3"X5" card

EastTarget.jpg

On a good day I can keep to 3" and 5" at 50 and 75 yards with five shot groups. I don't bother much with 100 yard offhand groups, though I have klangers for off-hand practice and I can bop the 12" long X 4" wide 100 yard gong between 1/2 and 3/4 of the time.

The only way to get better at off hand shooting is to practice.

1.Set your target up at the distance that you want to shoot, start at 25 yards.
2.From the bench sight the rifle in so that you know you’re hitting that mark.
3.Set another target up, with the smallest black circle that you can comfortable see.
4.Adjust your trigger so the gun will go off with the slightest touch. Make sure it’s safe !!
5.Then practice”¦. The small target with help you focus.

I'll start getting more 50m offhand practice with my .54 eastern tenn. poor boy flinter next month to get prepared for roedeer season in may.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I would have to say ninty percent of my shots on game is rested but I still practice three times a week off hand to illiminate errors caused by using open sites and a muzzleloading rifle.
:thumbsup:
I shoot five shot groups for score

DSCF3504.jpg

:surrender: :surrender: :surrender: I surrender!!! That's some fantastic shootin!!!
Dusty :wink:

Back