• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oh,SNAP! No. Really it snapped off

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What to do? Braze or tig? Throw it out the ahop door and walk away. Im just unlucky i guess. Knocked my SMR over at the range and cracked the nose of the stock. So i figured i would four a nose cap. Then scope creep sets in. I really didn't like the sanding and bleuing of the barrel so i would redo it too. Just got done cleaning the barrel up for blue application and stood the barrel on it nose on a towel. Turned my back and down it went. And the popsicle tang end snapped off.View attachment 223825View attachment 223826View attachment 223827
Sorry that happened to you. Listen, I came up with this rig just to keep things like that from happening. You can make it out of scrap plywood and a shop clamp. I use it in the shop and at the range.
17072.jpeg
17074.jpeg

Sorry that happened to you. Listen, I came up with this rig just to keep things like that from happening. You can make it out of scrap plywood and a shop clamp. I use it in the shop and at the range.View attachment 224228View attachment 224229
You'll notice my very rare and unusual antique adjustable paint roller handle musket in the device.

I will call the welder that tigs. I don't trust that mig in my hands to spot that thin piece. It'll either look like a pile of buggers or melt away would be my luck. I'll update after the holiday weekend.
Just crank the heat and and speed down on the mig a bit and try it out on a scrap piece first, should be no problem, or do what tenngun suggested.

I dropped a Kibler smr barrel and bent the tang. I cussed for a while then gathered my thoughts. Rather than mess with it I called Lori at Kibler and bought a new one. I had it in a few days. The rifle is to nice to muck around with messed up parts. Any repair will never look perfect.

The best way to make it nearly perfect is hihg temp silver solder.

I dropped a Kibler smr barrel and bent the tang. I cussed for a while then gathered my thoughts. Rather than mess with it I called Lori at Kibler and bought a new one. I had it in a few days. The rifle is to nice to muck around with messed up parts. Any repair will never look perfect.

The best way to make it nearly perfect is hihg temp silver solder.
Really. And it's likely already indexed for a perfect fit.

Yes really........... Kiblers are a modern CNC produced rifle. The parts a fully interchangeable. IF you line up the new tang with the top flat it will fit, perfectly.

Guess i will be calling Kibler tomorrow morning. Have an appointment with a gunsmith welder too. But the part is so thin I'm not sure of how much it will cost. Then buying a burr to dremel it round again. Might be more trouble than it's worth for fixing, rather than replacing.

Good call, a new tang will be cheaper than having it welded. It is not just a matter of having it welded. It is the clean up and reestablishing the screw hole. It will not look perfect when done. That is why I suggested silver solder for repair.

Latest posts

Back