• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ohio fullstock precarve?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentucky bucky

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am going to use some parts I've gathered and make me a fullstock Ohio/plains type rifle. I will be using the typical Ohio style furniture and I was wondering where to find a precarve or semi-precarve that would be suitable. thanks, Tom

Try MBS, give Suzy a call I think she has them listed, or at least one you can use. Bill

Try Tip Curtis Frontier Shop (615) 654-4445. If you are in KY you are within a days drive of him & it would be WELL worth the drive to his place & check out the parts. He has a tremendous inventory ......... you won't want to leave !! :crackup: :crackup:

I met Tip this past weekend at Dixon's and his stuff is intriguing. I have a question of you---since he isn't back home as of yet ( no answer on the phone ). Does he produce finished guns or are all of his items kits??? This was the opinion I got by looking at his display and I never got a chance to ask---he was quite busy---and he had quite a collection of goodies with him at the show---I can imagine his home base must be awesome. :hmm:

Tip had both "in the white" guns and "finished" guns last time I was at his shop. He has a work shop in the back where he works on guns. His parts and stock inventory is unbelievable. If you ever have an opportunity to stop by it is well worth your time. Not to mention, I'm baseing this on the medals he has hanging on the wall, he is/was quite a shot.
PD

Yes, Tip has "In the white" rifles , Finished rifles, and also all the parts to build one should you desire that. I have probably bought parts for ? 15 rifles from Tip & have always been satisfied withwhat I got from him.

My Son and I are working on an IH with parts from Tip. I am very pleased with the help received over the phone, quick delivery, and quality of the parts received. Its very likely I'll get another from him as soon as funds are available.

Java Man

For what its worth I spoke to Tip at Dixon's this past weekend. He had previously sent me several photographs of at least 10 different Bucks County style rifles that he had in stock. Several were in the white, several stained but not finished. To answer you question I asked him if he would build a "custom lehigh". He replied while he was thankful for my asking he was sooooo backloged with existing projects that he wasn't even thinking of taking a custom order at this time. :cry: I'd give him a call anyway to see if he has something in stock that's to your liking, all said he was an extremely nice person and I'm looking into one of the "in the whites" right now, liked the wood to metal fit of what he had on display. :results:

Big K.

I'm a little late, but thanks for all the suggestions. I will try to get to the CLA show in Lexington, KY on the 20th. Last time I was there Tip Curtis had a table. Tom

Do you have his email address?Is there a catalog?How do his prices compare to the others?Thanks

His e-mail address is [email protected]. If you provide him with your mailing address, he will send you his catalogue free of charge. His prices were on par with most other providers, however, I've heard his inventory is tremendous. He also provides in-the-white kits that just require finishing.

He has a phone number as well, but I don't have that, though I'm sure someone else could provide it if you like.

Been reading this thread. I'm interested in puting together a kit in the white. My building experience is limited to finish sanding stocks and browning metal in the white.

Does he have kits like this and are they percussion. I haven't take the flint lock step yet. A rough idea as to what he charges for his kits would be nice. Thank you!! :v

I don't have the catalogue right here with me... so I'm going by memory here, but it seemed as though most of the kits and white guns were in the standard $600-$1200 range. He has so many components and different kits and options and such, it's difficult to tell until you start looking at what he offers to determine what you want. Of course, the more flash and such, the more money you're going to spend.

Oh, and yes, he has percussion and flint guns.

I appreciate the reply. I've fired off an email to him requesting a catalog and explaining my building experience. :v

Back