• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

oil finish questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texcl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I've finished several stocks (all walnut) with boiled linseed oil and have tons of the stuff sitting around but for me to get a good finish I'm happy with it literaly takes months of work, I also have tung oil and have used it on ramrods and furniture and like the way it dries quickly and have lots of it around. Most people tell me to go with chambers oil finish, and if I had it around I'd definitely use it. Here's my question, is the chambers finish so much better (I know it had a different tint)that I should buy some and use it or could I use tung oil or linseed oil with similar results? I'm staining the maple stock with aquafortis real dark.

All I have been using lately is Chambers finish. For me its an easier product to use and less work involved. It has a redish tint to it.

I have only used Casey's Tru-Oil but I may try some of what you are using. Where are you getting the aqua fortis? :hmm:

Roy, your the original guy who got me turned on to chambers finish, I'm just terminally cheap and am trying to talk myself into ordering it.

Mike Brooks got me started using it :haha: Any way I may have enough now to last untill I see Jim or Barbie at the next show :hmm: :haha:

I think it is hands down the easiest and best finish out there. I have tried tung, BLO, Tru-oil, various poly mixes...this stuff is excellent. I have instructed some newbies in its use and their results are very good.
It is very forgiving and straight forward to use.
Dauber it on and let set about 10-15 mintues, use you finger and wipe on a couple of thin coats, inspect and lighlty sand off (600 grit) any little "goofs" and then do a light wipe on or two.
That is it. If desired it can be knocked back a bit and or waxed.

I just used it on my first build at the recomendation of Mike Brooks and it turned out great! Very easy to work with and the finish is nice...not too glossy but a nice satin.

I also used it on the plug on a powder horn I just finished and it looked great on the oak I used for that too.

Can you use his finish right over inlays and all or do you have to be careful aroung them like BLO?

I went over the inlays when applying it but then went and carefully cleaned my GS hunters star or it would have come out looking like a brass star. The finish has some coloring in it, but I love the way it came out.

Would this finish actually stain the wood as well? I was planning on using a walnut poly-stain, but this stuff sounds a whole lot easier.

Latest posts

Back