• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

old dominion knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luis hernandez

32 Cal.
Reaction score
:grin: Hello fellas, Your posts are so enlightening to read and gain more knowledge, I am wondering what do you think about old dominion knives especially a "rifleman's " knife with a forged steel guard and butt cap ,horn handle around $370 dollars ? I just want to know your opions before I take the plunge and aquire one ! Thanks again -Luis- :hmm:

Ken Willyard makes some of the FINEST knives available - yes you might find less expensive but none better............

I second Graywolf. Kyle Willyard is about as good as it gets in this class of cutlery. His swords are also magnificent.

:hmm: Look around before you go plunging that kind of wampum on a knife. There are lots of great knife makers out there. Check the links on this forum for some of the best in the business. My personal favorite maker is Dennis Miles of the Double Edge Forge---good prices, great workmanship, relatively short build times and a knife you will be happy with for a long time to come. :thumbsup:

Luis: Do some research, as on this forum or in the Buckskinning books by Scurlock, to make sure the knife fits your era. If you aren't trying to be period correct, buy whatever you like and can afford. graybeard

I have some of the things Kyle makes and they are well made. I have been happy with everything I have bought from him. I have one of his knifes and it is worth every penny I paid. They may be a little higher but worth it. mudd turtle.

Kyle is cheaper than some lesser quality makers I have come across. If you want to see high dollar for only God knows why knives, check some of what goes on the CLA site. A few of these folks must have gonads the size of dinosaur eggs, and egos to match them.

Do not kid yourself Wick Ellerbe on this board makes some really nice ones too brothers! :thumbsup:

Davy

Luis,

All the names mentioned thus far make excellent blades. I just wanted to throw out two more listed on our links page that I have done business with. Matt at ML Knives[url] www.mlknives.com[/url], and Richard Mize at[url] www.foxcreekforge.com[/url]. I have several knives from both of these gentlemen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Davy: I asked Wick if he would mind sending me a few pics of his work and zowwie, he makes a really nice knife. I think he sent me photos of 4 or 5 different knives he makes.

Here's a few I did in the early eighties.
pennyknife402_640x480.jpg
[/img]
pennyknife403_640x480.jpg
[/img]

Luis, you have been given some great leads on knife builders. I would like to submit the name of J.P. Miller. He makes a great knife, either steel or damascus at a reasonable price. You can contact him at jpmiller@iowatelecom/com
Emery

Just received a bag knife from him- It was a mighty fine birthday present. best knife I've ever used or even handled. The small touches he adds puts significant character into the blades.

Back