• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old eyes going bad

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a .50 Pedersoli Frontier rifle. I don't do a lot of shooting other than deer hunting. My problem is that it's getting very difficult to focus on the sights. A few years back I put fiber optic sights on and it just about killed me to do it to that rifle! That helped a lot, but now it's getting hard with even those sights. Now I'm actually considering a <gasp> scope so I can continue deer hunting and be reasonably sure of a clean kill. Does anyone know of a decent replica of an old scope that might work on that rifle and not look horrible? Or am I realistically looking at something from the folks at Leupold? Any gotchca's to doing that?

The other thing that I'm wondering about is is every year the gun club I belong to has a Youth Day and Ladies Day weekend. I always bring my ML out both days and the kids shoot one or two rounds Saturday and the ladies shoot the same Sunday. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but is there such a thing as scope mounts that are at least somewhat easy to take off for those two days? It just doesn't seem right to be demoing a ML with a modern scope.
Ahhh. Might have solved your problem. My double 577-500 no2 did not have any sights , don’t know why. I made up some nice sights and put them on with epoxy I have changed them several times an a slight knock with hammer they just fall off magic the rear I can also fit a scope or red dot as you say heaven forbid. But I have often thought of a scoped flintlock for deadly accuracy. But in France it seems you have to have a scope for hunting with 2 mag min. But don’t know about hunting there with a flintlock. All I know when travelling in a car the flint must be removed Strange laws France big far bigger than uk. But it’s a big big empty country England Is packed with houses My friend cannot see a thing but had fitted his pistol scope halfway down the barrel he shoot BP guns but he feels ml will use up too much range time although he’s just joined a Norfolk ML club. I have hope for him yet. Never known anyone hunt deer in uk with a ML it’s not illegal if you have the right police certificates Enjoy
N.

Attachments

• 4A258C52-B363-40B4-AC00-3A06A4CBBD56.jpeg
    4A258C52-B363-40B4-AC00-3A06A4CBBD56.jpeg
    43.3 KB
  • 7831B2D1-07D4-47A8-90F2-254367123CD9.jpeg
    7831B2D1-07D4-47A8-90F2-254367123CD9.jpeg
    108 KB
  • 7CE43F64-AE46-475B-BA58-C811F45A7A80.jpeg
    7CE43F64-AE46-475B-BA58-C811F45A7A80.jpeg
    94.6 KB
If you need near and far correction then a lined bifocal or a progressive lens is in order if you only want to wear one pair of glasses. There are inherant pluses and minuses to both. I've been wearing progressives for 30 years in ever increasing strengths. The down side from a shooting/hunting perspective is that y ou do need to point your nose at what you want to see. I can see peripherally but not clearly. Also, when walking the woods if I'm on uneven ground or heavy brush I need to contantly have to look up and down to find my way. That can be a little PIA. The plus is that no matter what distance I'm trying to see from about 18 " to infinity is in my lens.
A lined bifocal will give you more clear area to view but you only get reading and distance and lose intermediate distance. The amount depends on your RX. You also get an "image jump" as your eye crosses the bifocal line.

Another reason I like transition lenses is I do not have to deal with that well-defined line.
Right now I am wearing transition trifocals for the first time. So far so good.

Alas, on the backside of my 60's I can appreciate your dilemma, the progressive lenses of my glasses don't help. Next trip to the eye doctor I'll be looking for a better solution, perhaps a pair dedicated to shooting.

Without launching into a tirade over modern glass on muzzleloaders I've seen the handwriting on the wall with folks trying to promote making scope sights legal in what once we're primitive hunting seasons. I'd bet a substantial sum of folding money that if scopes, even 1X, were made legal in muzzleloader seasons young eyes as well as old would dive in. Open sights take a bit more discipline to learn and a lot of shooters just don't want to put in the effort.
Your optician should be able to make you a pair of glasses with only your distance vision RX. Mine did it in 20 minutes while I waited.

If all else fails, look up Malcolm Scopes from Hi-Lux. Right spendy but look natural on old or old style guns.

Montana Vintage Arms are to go-to for the very highest quality, made-in-the-USA scopes and mounts. In our experience over here, where, oddly enough, we do a fair amount of long-range muzzle and c*r*r*d*e black powder shooting, Malcolm scopes are acceptable, just, but the mounts are utter garbage, having few safeguards to retain settings reliably, if at all. MVA, OTOH, are the World Class product you might expect at their price point. My own experience involves a Pedersoli Sharps rifle with a Malcom scope and mounts acquired via the Pedersoli dealer - they are, I understand ALL made by Malcolm.

Three weeks later, after failing to keep the scope in the same position from one shot to the next, I ordered a set of MVA's beautiful mounts on behalf of the Sharps' owner, and after they were fitted, never looked back.

Given the short overall length of the rifle in question, you might think about fitting the shorter Winchester scope. Mods, please ignore the item underneath the scope - it's all I could find right now.

1644077629493.png
1644077629493.png

Once it gets twilight I can't see for squat. I have put red nail polish on my front sight to help when it is cloudy or getting close to dusk.

Every year I get my prescription updated and new glasses to stay on top of things. Starting to understand why the old grizzled veterans in the cowboy shows always used a shotgun. Thought it was a little tropey and over played but it is real. Old eyes just don't shoot as sharp as they used to, such a gun is in order for the old gaffer riding shotgun on the stage coach.
I've used chalk on my front sight.

Was just looking at the Winchester scope yesterday. Hopefully the mounts are slightly offset for the lock to have room. I’ve pondered this for a Renegade .50 Flintlock. A 3x would be nice
Montana Vintage Arms are to go-to for the very highest quality, made-in-the-USA scopes and mounts. In our experience over here, where, oddly enough, we do a fair amount of long-range muzzle and c*r*r*d*e black powder shooting, Malcolm scopes are acceptable, just, but the mounts are utter garbage, having few safeguards to retain settings reliably, if at all. MVA, OTOH, are the World Class product you might expect at their price point. My own experience involves a Pedersoli Sharps rifle with a Malcom scope and mounts acquired via the Pedersoli dealer - they are, I understand ALL made by Malcolm.

Three weeks later, after failing to keep the scope in the same position from one shot to the next, I ordered a set of MVA's beautiful mounts on behalf of the Sharps' owner, and after they were fitted, never looked back.

Given the short overall length of the rifle in question, you might think about fitting the shorter Winchester scope. Mods, please ignore the item underneath the scope - it's all I could find right now.

View attachment 119930View attachment 119930

Last edited:
Please elaborate and show more photos on this.
I will go this direction eventually…. On my T/c Flintlock, peep on percussion … With a detachable scope (Low light hunting) on my Double that has a peep and express sights.
The gun is at a different location for more photos. The gun is a Pedersoli Mortimer Whitworth, .451, 1:20 twist. The scope is a long tube Malcolm. The mounts as sent are terrible for repeatable ranging. For a additional charge you can get a adjustable screw assembly, it's worth it. The optics are very clear with a fine cross hair.
With the combination I have found it very accurate with the various bullet and loads out to 300yds. I have done some additional work to the rear base to make it work well. It is also heavy, not something I hold off hand very long.
Hope this helps, Kno-ie

I have been refining a design for folding tang peep and expect to be making it available here very soon. Its adjustable for windage and elevation and mounts with the tang screw. Sourcing of materials has delayed release.

View attachment 119686 View attachment 119687 View attachment 119688

Interested to know more about this, do you have a price in mind, even ballpark?

The diopter things really work, I have a merit device. It helps keep 300 yard iron sighted pistol shooting a reality.

I inherited a pistol with a fiber optic front sight. i compared it to the orange painted sights Ive been using, the orange paint showed up better in varied low light, I ditched the fiber optic and painted the front sight on that one also. The good thing is you dont have to change your sight. I use a heavy white base coat of fingernail polish, then a thin coat of Traffic Cone Orange over it. I do nightly skunk patrols with th dog and carbine, the front sight is stunningly visible in very low light. All my carry pistols and carbines have it.

Some other factors that can affect your eyesight, TV, computers, reading, and caffeine. A guy I knew that did some exhibition shooting said he didnt drink coffee for 3 days before a shoot. He did stuff like shooting things held in people hands or mouth with an SAA pistol, one handed.

I read something recently, they have figured out that certain frequencies of deep red light affect your eyesight, it actually helps your eyes heal and rebuild somewhat. The odd part, it only seems to work when done in the morning, and the effect is detectable for days afterwards. Theres artificial sources designed for this, but the sunlight from sunrise also seems to help, the part of sunrise thats the red-orange color has UV filtered out by the atmosphere, but the red spectrum comes through, so the sunlight isnt a negative.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...searchers,boost to naturally declining vision.

Last edited:
I used to jokingly say that if your rear sight is blurry, it’s time for a new pair of glasses. However, my CVA Hawken has the adjustable primitive rear sight which puts the groove about two inches closer to my face. Although they come standard on some rifles, they’re for lazy people who don’t want to file anything down. Once they’re adjusted properly, you never touch them again. Needless to say, that sight has become blurry lately.

I have a Chambers Issac Haines rifle I shoot most of the time and the rear sight is fixed. I have no problem seeing it. That makes me want to put one on my CVA.

A couple of eye exams ago, my Optometrist found out that I shoot guns. She suggested Trifocals. I’m really not sure whether that helped or not.

A couple of guys in the club had cataract surgery. They claim their vision is now 20/20.

Lastly, for hunting and even target shooting, some of my older friends use a tang-mounted rear Peep sight with a clearly defined front bead. This seems to help their aging eyesight.

Just my two cents.

Thanks!

Walt

Here's a look at the "improved sights" project I'm currently involved in with my Crockett rifle. The first photo is of the original sights. I found these to be very accurate, but also very difficult for me to use.

The second photo shows my "prototype" fiber optic sight. It's based on a TOW blade sight which fits the Traditions dovetail, and it's been heavily modified in terms of shape and height. The fiber optic addition is a chunk of a Hi Viz LitePipe affixed to the top of the nickel blade. It's pretty crude, but it's a work in progress.

The big problem was gluing the plastic (polymer) to the nickel. I originally thought this was a problem with the plastic, but then realized (after several attempts) it was a problem with the nickel -- which is very hard to glue anything to. I finally succeeded by filing a shallow channel in the top of the blade, using an acid wash on it (some acid solder flux I have), and then using GorillaWeld epoxy. It SEEMS to be on there solidly now. But time will tell. I BELIEVE this sight to conform to the NMLRA 5010-OPEN FRONT SIGHT regulation.

The third photo shows how visible the modified front sight is, and also shows my new rear sight (a TOW full buckhorn). With a minor modification to open up the top of the buckhorn to a 1/4" space, this sight will then conform to NMLRA 5020-OPEN REAR SIGHT. And so the sight set should be both very visible to me and NMLRA-conforming. Initial tests indicate it is MUCH easier for me to use than the original sights, and no less accurate.

I'm still not entirely sure that the front sight is at exactly the height I want it to be, but that will require more use to determine. I may decide to replace the fiber optic part with a solid white LitePipe, But that too will require some experimentation. If any of that happens I may also decide just to build the front sight from scratch and avoid the pain of dealing with the nickel blade. :rolleyes:

1644082945732.jpeg

1644082964552.jpeg

1644082993085.jpeg

Some here have claimed a distance lens is what is needed for shooting improvement after cataract surgery. Others claim a lens to focus on the front sight. I’m confused! Are you getting the long distance lens for target clarity, then utilizing an aperture to help to see the front sight clearly? Or, should you get a lens that enables you to focus on the rear sight and hope for the best on the target. We really only have one try at this when the eye doctor does the surgery. I recognize cataract surgery with either lens may improve shooting, but, one of the options should be better than the other. Comments?🐮

I made this devise many years ago for competitive shooting & hunting to deal with my astigmatism & being near-sighted. Now at 79 I've had cataract implants in both eyes that render me far-sighted but I still find it still clears up my sight & target picture. Especially when shooting handguns !
This unit will work for left or right handed shooters as clips securely to either earpiece & pivots out of your line of vision when not using & back for a fast shot.

I wanted an alternative wanted an alternative to having the Merit suction cup stuck to my lens & blocking vision, & it was later lost when the cup lost suction & fell off.
Over the years several of my shooting friends have found this very inexpensive devise solved their eyesight shooting issues. I purchased the Jewelers Loupe shown in the photos below off Amazon about 2 years ago for about $6.00. Just need to unscrew & replace the glass & use it as a pattern for the new black plastic insert, an additional magnifying eyepiece & arm was included but I removed it.
The black diopter insert on my devise is cut from the bottom of a plastic/nylon 35mm film canister, I found that a .040 dia. drilled hole in the center worked best for me but best to start smaller & see what size hole works best for you.

Attachments

• IMG_2297.JPG
    IMG_2297.JPG
    121.8 KB
  • IMG_2298.JPG
    IMG_2298.JPG
    127.1 KB
I have macular degeneration in both eyes the left is the worst I can no longer see iron sights on my Hawkins I've heard of people putting red dot sight on the hole where the rear sight is anyone herd of this

I have macular degeneration in both eyes the left is the worst I can no longer see iron sights on my Hawkins I've heard of people putting red dot sight on the hole where the rear sight is anyone herd of this

See if you can try one before buying one. Ive seen quite a few comments elsewhere about people with vision issues not being able to see the dot clearly. It can have a blaze or flare effect, making the actual dot aiming point difficult to find and use.

Some here have claimed a distance lens is what is needed for shooting improvement after cataract surgery. Others claim a lens to focus on the front sight. I’m confused! Are you getting the long distance lens for target clarity, then utilizing an aperture to help to see the front sight clearly? Or, should you get a lens that enables you to focus on the rear sight and hope for the best on the target. We really only have one try at this when the eye doctor does the surgery. I recognize cataract surgery with either lens may improve shooting, but, one of the options should be better than the other. Comments?🐮
The choice of cataract lenses has nothing to do with shooting. It is about an individuals eye sight problems and what lens choice gives them the best results for THEIR eyes. I always had good eyesight so all I needed was the standard distance lenses. A friend of mine had life long vision problems & paid the extra for the custom lenses. BOTH let you see your sights. Talk to your optometrist and get a professional examination & recommendation, instead of trying to decide what to do with yours eyes from internet advice. Either option will let you see the sights with clarity. What you NEED is dependent on your eyes & what your eye doctor recommends. Just food for thought!

The choice of cataract lenses has nothing to do with shooting. It is about an individuals eye sight problems and what lens choice gives them the best results for THEIR eyes. I always had good eyesight so all I needed was the standard distance lenses. A friend of mine had life long vision problems & paid the extra for the custom lenses. BOTH let you see your sights. Talk to your optometrist and get a professional examination & recommendation, instead of trying to decide what to do with yours eyes from internet advice. Either option will let you see the sights with clarity. What you NEED is dependent on your eyes & what your eye doctor recommends. Just food for thought!
Beg to differ on choice of cataract lenses..
Prior to surgery I was offered lens with focal-distance choices.
Since I was born near-sighted I asked for lens corrected that allowed me near perfect long distance vision !!! I remain happy with that lens choice but my sight & target remains much improved with this $6.00 homemade clip-on diopter.
Over the past 20 years I've been fortunate to have a fellow shooter as an optician & he also wore corrected lenses. After letting him try my do-dad he made one for himself. I'm not selling anything , just figured some folks might be interested in trying an inexpensive & proven diopter fix.
As usual, always lots of good ideas, fixes & debates on this great forum :ghostly:

Beg to differ on choice of cataract lenses..
Prior to surgery I was offered lens with focal-distance choices.
Since I was born near-sighted I asked for lens corrected that allowed me near perfect long distance vision !!! I remain happy with that lens choice but my sight & target remains much improved with this $6.00 homemade clip-on diopter.
Over the past 20 years I've been fortunate to have a fellow shooter as an optician & he also wore corrected lenses. After letting him try my do-dad he made one for himself. I'm not selling anything , just figured some folks might be interested in trying an inexpensive & proven diopter fix.
As usual, always lots of good ideas, fixes & debates on this great forum :ghostly:
I don't recall recommending any "choice" of lenses. I merely said to talk to an optometrist and get an examination & a PROFESSIONAL recommendation instead of using Internet advice. For crying out loud, does everything on this forum have to be an argument??? I'm about to quit posting anything. What your results were is irrelevant to what the Redcow's results will be. Tell me what "choice" of lenses I made that you "beg to differ with". Are you a practicing eye care professional????

I don't recall recommending any "choice" of lenses. I merely said to talk to an optometrist and get an examination & a PROFESSIONAL recommendation instead of using Internet advice. For crying out loud, does everything on this forum have to be an argument??? I'm about to quit posting anything. What your results were is irrelevant to what the Redcow's results will be. Tell me what "choice" of lenses I made that you "beg to differ with". Are you a practicing eye care professional????
My apologies Hawkeye had no intent to offend & no I'm certainly not an eyecare professional.
My posting was just to try & help other shooters by providing an inexpensive option to try.

Back