• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old eyes syndrome

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also struggled with the front sight becoming invisible as I aged. This year I finally had an eye exam and bought a prescription set of bi-focals for every day use. I asked my eye doctor for a second set of glasses that had my right lens corrected for a distance of 40" so that I could focus on the front sight of my rifles. (I am right handed and right eye dominant) The left lens I had corrected for distance. Neither lens is bi-focal. We call these my shooting glasses. I am able to see my target with my left eye and the front sight with my right. However I only wear them when I am shooting or about to shoot in the case of hunting.

I had previously used drug store reading glasses, but when I had to go up to 2.5 power I could not see at a distance clearly.

Wayne

I'm just waiting for my cataracts to get bad enough to require action. A colleague at work had hers done and went from coke bottle bottom glasses to 20/20 without glasses. She just needs a slight correction for reading. Modern medical technology is amazing.

Gerard Dueck said:
I'm just waiting for my cataracts to get bad enough to require action. A colleague at work had hers done and went from coke bottle bottom glasses to 20/20 without glasses. She just needs a slight correction for reading. Modern medical technology is amazing.

Agreed. I have had both eyes done with similar results. The procedure is a snap. I've had more traumatic haircuts than the cat surgery. :wink:

Opening the rear sight notch a smidge really helps me find the front sight. Doesn't seem to hurt the accuracy at all, but a little extra gap on either side of the front sight really helps keep it in view. I add a dab of typists white-out to the front sight when the light is low, then flick it off with my thumbnail while the light is up. Kinda handy too, if in the middle of the day I wander back into the dark timber.

The sights aren't any less fuzzy, but at least I can see them.

Mr. Brooks, I am a year your junior, and reside in the county directly to your north. Even with progressive bifocals, open iron sights have become a challenge for me. As suggested, moving the rear sight up the barrel toward the muzzle will help, at a slight cost in accuracy due to the loss of sight radius. Experimenting with a front sight that reflects more light will also help. Finally, find a copy of Ned Roberts' "The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle" and take a gander at some of the sights in use in the 19th century. A "lollipop" tang sight of the right dimensions might work wonders.
Congratulations on putting some venison in the freezer!

Mr. Brooks,

I thought 62 was old until July 9th 2011. While marching in a parade with my Vietnam Veteran Color Guard my heart sped up to 300 beats and just plum shut down. Fortunately for me two EMT's were right there and shocked me back.

I will be 62 next June and cherish every minute I have to walk in the woods. As far as my eyes I have same issue. On my Lyman GPR cap lock I installed the Lyman fiber optic front and rear sight. I did the same thing on my Deerstalker Flint lock.

Fixed my vision issue real quick. I left my TVM Early Virginia flint alone and do my best when shooting her. Enjoy every minute you can because it can all be taken away real quick.

Good Luck and keep your powder dry. :wink:
Charlie
aka vietnam71

I also have had to find a new sighting system at 62. Since all my ML rifles are set up with the stock drop for open sights, and being a tracker in thickets where most all shots are 25-40 yards, I solved my problem this way. I removed the rear sight and the blade front and install a shot-gun Tru-glo front bead similar to those of the older Ithaca shotguns. It holds steady, doesn't obscure too much of the target, and is quick. I have also shot it at 75 yards, and grouped 2-3 inches. It works very well for me......Gary

yep.....I'm thinking my smooth bore is getting better as I age and see less :idunno:

Think about becoming an instinct shooter, works for me.

William Alexander

I've been near sighted seemingly forever, can't stand contact lenses, haven't spent the $ for Lasic, so wear glasses. I've had bifocals for at least 10 years. Over the past couple of years my iron sights have become a challenge. I LIKE a peep sight on the rear, green fiber optic on the front is great for hunting, but glows too much for target work. One of my flintlocks has a standing leaf literally on the breechplug, and while its a simple, flat topped notch, acts like a peep. I generally prefer a silver blade on the front, and by filing a 45* angle at the top rear, find that it glows in the woods!

DO NOT be afraid to experiment with various sight positions, heights, notch depths and widths. The sights need only work for YOUR eyes, so experiment!

Latest posts

Back