• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Flintlock Pistol Mystery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KIA Ora Mr Pathfinder.
I don't no if this is any help? But you may wish to have a look through these.
If there's any on in particular yiu wish to no more on I have this book of old British pistols that has great details on every one & I can send you thru some information:)
It looks a great pistol, wondering if it's a civilian version of military style at the time? Wot wud I no ? :)
Have a wonderful day.
Ma Te Wa
:)

Attachments

• 20240930_135720.jpg
    20240930_135720.jpg
    3.5 MB
  • 20240930_135653.jpg
    20240930_135653.jpg
    1,012.8 KB
KIA Ora Mr Pathfinder.
I don't no if this is any help? But you may wish to have a look through these.
If there's any on in particular yiu wish to no more on I have this book of old British pistols that has great details on every one & I can send you thru some information:)
It looks a great pistol, wondering if it's a civilian version of military style at the time? Wot wud I no ? :)
Have a wonderful day.
Ma Te Wa
:)

Mr Badgett,
You won't regret getting the book. It has short to the point text & incredible pictures of many patents variations.
Very good book.
I not long purchase a sea service 1839 patent ( it's on antique weapons part of this great world wide web)
& I could find the bang on version:) & there's a LOT of version of that particular model.
If your interested in British & there contractors weapons it's agreat resource to have.
Have anice day.
( Ma Te Wa)

So I have learned that this pistol was made by Halbach and son. They made pistols in Baltimore, from the 1780’s through the 1830’s, making anywhere from 200 to 500 pistols. Many of their pistols were “secondary martial” meaning they were for private purchase by officers since the military did not provide them.
Looking at this one with the re-soled frizzen and enlarged touch hole, my guess is that it saw lots of use. (It’s neat to imagine its history particularly since it was made in Baltimore and could have been in use during the War of 1812 period.)
Looking at various examples of their pistols, the side plate, trigger guard (and lock to some extent) are easily recognizable. Their engraved ones look almost “folk artish” One of their Federal period pistols was featured in The Antiques Roadshow and was appraised at $4000 to $6000 or so.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back